What lens do you use for hunting?

Smokey Joe

Why are you asking??

Hunter 33--Are you looking for a product recommendation? If so, a few more details would be very helpful, like to what kind of use this lens will be put, under what conditions, and do you have a budget to consider?

BTW, while I'm asking, what do you mean by "lens?" Binoculars, spotting 'scope, rangefinder, magnifying glass, what? Outdoors people use a lot of different lenses.

Not wishing to be snide, just would like to know what sort of question is being asked.

wakerider017

Are you talking about a 40mm objective?

That seems to be a popular choice. As far as brands of scopes, I don't think you can go wrong with Leupold.

Remington 700's and Savages seem to be pretty popular with the hunting crowd.

Smokey Joe

Upon further consideration...

Hunter 33--What are you planning on hunting with this rifle and 'scope??

You would not use the same rifle, nor same cartridge, nor same 'scope, for hunting rhinoceros, as for hunting elk, as for hunting whitetail deer, as for hunting woodchucks, as for hunting tree squirrels.

What I use for my hunting might have very little bearing on what might be good for your hunting.

taylorce1

They are called reticles. I use duplex, heavy duplex, and have one with German #4. On my varmint rifles I like fine cross hairs or target dot. I don't get into BDC, Mill Dot, B&C, or Varmint reticles offered these days. The scope just gets a little to busy for my tastes with all of the specialized new reticles.

Smokey Joe

AAaahh, the reticle!

Hunter 33--Well, thx for clearing that up anyhow. Now, you still need to tell us: WHAT FOR are you planning to use this rifle & 'scope??

That will be a big factor in the usefulness of our replies. On reticles, too, I might add. Though quite often with the reticle of a 'scope, personal preference is a large factor. That, and what the seller has on hand.

Last edited:

MTMilitiaman

Generally, the closer and faster your engagements tend to be, the larger or bolder the reticle needs to be. A heavy duplex or German #4 will be easier to pick up and track on close range shots at moving targets.

Longer range shots, or shots on smaller targets requiring more precision usually use a finer or thinner crosshair, such as a fine duplex or target dot, which obscures less of the target.

A good happy medium is a good ol stand by like the standard duplex. This reticle has four bold posts at the 12, 3, 6, and 9 o' clock positions that either gradually taper in towards the middle or end in arrows pointing inwards towards the middle. This draws the eye inwards, towards the center of the reticle, which has a thinner intersecting wires for more precise placement. The heavy and fine versions just have thicker or thinner posts, respectively.