What kind of Sights for My Colt 1991A1?

James K

Member In Memoriam
MMC and Novak (and others) make low adjustable sights. Wilson Combat (and others) make low white dot non-adjustable sights. Some are little more than slightly raised GI sights with 1/8 inch notches and white dots. These are a good compromise.

Check out www.brownells.com for some ideas.

For practical carry, I consider adjustable sights unnecessary and possible plain dangerous, tending to get hung up on things at bad moments. There is also the question of usefulness if one thinks of the 3/3/3 "rule", which says gunfights (on the average) take place at less than 3 yards, last 3 seconds, and have 3 shots fired. Under those conditions, sights are superfluous, but one does like to have some, just in case someone decides not to play by the "3"s rule.

Jim

Jamie Young

I want to replace the sights because I get frustrated shooting out to 25yds with it. I tried to hit Sporting Clays and would have to aim above the target (and not be able to see it) to hit it. Kind of gets on My nerves having to aim like that. I'm not trying to zero the gun in for shooting BG's;)

WESHOOT2

SO MANY GOOD ONES...............

Novak, Ashley Outdoors, Heinie, Wilson, MMC, and others.

What I ended up with (after considerable time, testing, and expense) on my personal 1911 is the Bo-Mar (adjustable) rear base wearing a Caspian ghost-ring blade, and out front the Caspian small-optic-fiber rod front blade.

James K

Member In Memoriam
Sorry, Soda Pop, when you said you wanted to carry the gun, I assumed as a concealed weapon. For sporting clays and the like out to 25 yards and beyond, high visibility adjustable sights are a good idea. Weshoot2 has listed the best. I have never used a ghost ring, but it sounds like a good idea.

Jim

Jamie Young

I just can't get a very good Sight Picture with the sights I have on My Colt. Too much play in the sight posts.

Question?
I swear My Gun hits Dead on at 15yds but the bullet drops off at 25yds. My Gunsmith and My Ballistic Data says the Bullet should be 1 inch high at 25yds if its Sighted in at 15yds??? I don't get that!!

I filed down My front post a little to see if I could get a little more range out of My gun. But I haven't settled on a particular Load to sight it in on.