What kind of "Gun Customer" are you?

Skans

After reading some interesting posts about gun store workers/owners, I wanted to see how everyone describes themself when they are looking for or buying guns.

Myself first. I'm probably fall into two catagories: 1) the classic "lookie loo" and 2) "take the deal".

When I'm in lookie loo mode, I know generally what I'm looking for, but need to look at all variations of what I'm looking for before I make the decision to purchase. A good example of this was when I purchased my first Over Under shotgun a couple of years ago. I was looking for a gun to take up Sporting Clays and Skeet shooting. I went to 3 different stores looking at various 12 gauge O/U's. I learned everything I possibly could about O/U shotguns for this style of shooting. Even bought a book on shotguns used for these sports. I didn't purchase one from any of these three stores, but ended up getting one through a Beretta dealer who is a very good friend of mine. He took some personal time to show me the differences between various shotguns, and ultimately gave me a deal I couldn't refuse.

My other mode of buying is if I see a gun that I like and the price is what I consider "below market", I'll buy it Johnny-on-the spot. But, it has to be a gun that I'm familiar with, one that I genuinely like, and the deal has to be something that I just can't pass up.

flight954

I always know what I'm after so I research and ask those who own the particular firearm I'm interested in then search the net for pricing on new and used. I then usually find a the best deal at ONE of my local stores or at the shows.

Sevens

Good topic.

When I walk in to a gun store that I frequent often, I'm typically headed straight for primers and/or powder. Maybe component bullets if there are any old stock, closeout, scratch & dent or otherwise "cheap."

When I walk in to a gun store that I've never been to before or one that I don't visit very often (once a year or less) then I typically kick tires and walk the entire place. If it's a mom & pop type joint and anyone working there has been halfway friendly and nobody working there has been outwardly rude, then I make it a point to buy SOMETHING, no matter if it's a great deal or not, as long as it's something I can use. I'm not talking big dough here, maybe $20-$30. One thing I don't ever feel comfy doing is showing up in a small store, walking around for 20-40 mins and then not buying anying. Especially if someone working there has been friendly. If they are rude or gruff (many are, we've all seen it) then I'm only buying if it's a great deal.

Funniest part is that I'm typically not interested in looking at guns at any gun stores. That's because I don't do much tire kicking unless I've already decided that I'm in the market. And when I do have spare time and I do check out the firearms, it's almost never any of the long arms, but only the handguns, and then most often, I'm only looking at the used ones.

tmd11111

I'm more of the impulse type of buyer. If I get board and the itch I'll check out a few shops. If something different or out of the ordinary catches my eye I end up buying it. The last time I did this was this past January when I was home on R&R. Went in for ammo and walked out with a NIB Ruger Charger and a LNIB S&W PC .460 Hunter with a Nikon scope that was on consignment. Seller needed to sell it alot worse then I needed to buy it. Oh, I have absolutely no regrets buying it either. Now when I get home next month I need to get a set of dies for it.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
I'm the internet buyer. I research, research, research until I find what I want, then I search, search, search until I find the best price and then I buy it. I quite honestly almost never set foot in the local gun shops, except when I pick up the gun I bought on the internet.

ZeSpectre

I wander in, look at what's new, shoot the bull a little if they aren't busy.
If there is some special deal I might buy on the spot but more typically I write down what I'm interested in and then go home and think about it for a day or two. Assuming the shop people didn't treat me like I was wasting their time I might then come back after thinking about it and buy a gun or something else.

I almost NEVER buy something over $150 on the spot. I have a personal rule about waiting at least 24 hours to make a decision so I can research and avoid impulse buying.

P5 Guy

Gun Store Shopper

Does the CMP South Store count?
That is the last store bought gun I purchased. Most of the gun purchases I've made have been trades at gunshows or the ranges I belong to. Mail order from the CMP is the closest I usually come to buying at a store.

Composer_1777

I'm the kind who - if i walk in i'm buying a gun. Don't need to be sold, don't need to be hassled, I already know what I want and money doesn't matter because I expect to spend more. I am open to suggestions and if i like something else i'll get that instead.

troy_mclure

i like to "window shop" at gun stores, i usually buy something, ammo, cleaning stuff, etc...

if its over $500 ill research the heck out of it, if its under $500 i might impulse buy, especialy if they are willing to deal.

7east

I like to window shop like anyone else. If the guy working behind the counter comes over and starts talking to me like i've never seen a gun before, then, well, I will ask a ton of questions and ask to look at everything and just waste his time (the guys that work at my local range are prone to being fairly condescending at times). If you're a professional then I will be as well. I only go to gun shows if I have money to spend so I guess what kind of buyer I am depends on who's selling.

ProjectCamaro

By the time I look at the gun at the store I have researched it and know everything about it and am basicly there just to buy it.
I don't go and just look at the guns and handle them.

Dragon55

Wellll.... I do like to fondle the hardware especially if it's old and in fair to good condition.
I only have 5 guns that I specifically researched and shopped around for. The rest were 'random finds'. I like to go to pawn shops when the owner is not there. I've always gotten better deals from the employees.

And like SEVEN when I go in one of the mom and pop gun shops I always buy something.

raftman

It depends on the establishment. Almost always, I know what I am looking for, and the goal is to get it, and leave. However, if it's a place I like, then I will likely have a good look around and maybe buy more than what I came for if it's enticing enough. If it's a place I don't like, then I am probably in search of something I can't find elsewhere, if they got it, I'll buy it and leave; I make it a point to do as little business with such establishments as possible. It's at gun shows that I tend to be more of a "ooh, let's see what they got" type customer.

Hellbilly5000

I am the type that knows exactly what they want and will go to stores and look at it in the store a dozen times before i buy it. When I do buy it I will fondle everything else in the case to start getting an idea what i want to save up for next

lockedcj7

I'm generally looking for a diamond in the rough. Most times I don't find anything interesting, occasionally I do. I've seen great guns and passed them up only to come back the next day and find them already gone. Every once-in-a-while I'll fondle the latest hardware but I'm more drawn to the older guns. I'm a sucker for a gun with rust on it or cosmetic defects that I know I can iron out because I know I can usually get it cheap.

My latest purchase is a 26" Benelli M-1 field. It has a goofy looking magazine extension and the stocks have been dipped in camo. They were asking $650 and I got them to take 10% off.

SIGSHR

As a dedicated used-"pre-owned"-"classic" buyer I look for anything on my "list" and if I am in an establishment that is new to me I mentally compare their prices to what I think is "right". Courtesy is important, if I am ignored, if
I seem to be intruding upon someone's TV watching or private conversation, if I think I am being addressed in the wrong tone of voice I will cut my visit short and buy nothing.

Hellbilly5000

Can you imagine me as a customer

WildnoonelikesmeasyoucanwellimagineAlaska ™

I don't think i would want to
I'm sure you would walk in and go I have at least one of everything already ya got anything else

Uncle Buck

Depends on what type of mood I am in. I currently like the cowboy guns in the .45 caliber. If I see one I want I will buy it. I usually do not like to "May I see that one... and that one... and that one."

I want to get my reloading supplies and get out.
I am tired of people telling me I do not know what I really need when it comes to a gun. I know what I want, need has nothing to do with it. I like the revolvers (Twirlies) and do not care much for the autos (Sliders).

I like shooting the .45 long colt (yeah, yeah, yeah, the .45 colt, but not the 1911) and I like the feel of the ones I have. If I pick up another one that feels good, I will buy it.

MLeake

I usually know exactly what I want...

... and do my research ahead of time. Guns, cars, motorcycle, mountain bike, you name it.

However, I'm not immune to impulse buys.

The impulse buy will either result from stumbling across a tremendous deal, or from being in a shop where I know the guys behind the counter, when they've had something interesting come in, or have built something interesting.

Case in point, my GP100 with night sights and wolf spring, that a friend had built down in FL when I lived there. I'd gone in to pick up a P239 SAS/DAK, and he had the GP100 there, along with an SP101 with CTC grips.

I ended up buying all 3, actually, but left the SP with him so he could do a matching trigger job with the GP's. He did such a good job that my parents borrowed the SP101 one day, and they still have it....