What kind of 1911 mainspring housing?

oldcars

I have a Springfield champion lightweight GI 1911 and I am thinking about changing the mainspring housing from the factory arched one to a flat style, because I have smallish hands and to rid the gun of the silly lock. I was looking at the Johm Masen catalog and trying to decide between smooth, checkered, or serrated. anyone have any thoughts?

9x19

John Masen parts are somewhat iffy... often they are poor castings and their pin holes are not always square and properly located...

I prefer checkered first, serrated second, smooth last.

Take a look at www.brownells.com I've had great luck with Smith & Alexander's MSHs.

Also keep in mind you'll need more than just a new MSH...I've replaced a few ILS MSHs with standard types and you will need the following:

Main spring housing
Main spring (Not lighter than 18 lbs IMO)
Main spring cap
Main spring cap pin

Brownells has all the parts, good luck.

Slopemeno

I like the "Wedge", but so much of that is personal taste. Figure out whats comfortable, see if you can find it in aluminum, and buy the best quality part you can.

AK103K

I always preferred the arched with a short trigger,(Colt/GI spec) as the gun pointed better for me. I also like a lanyard loop on my guns. I either used Colt/GI for a replacement when I could get them, or S&A.