What Kimber to buy?

NAD

I'm thinking about buying a Commander sized Kimber with an alloy frame. I am looking at the Pro CDP or the Pro Elite. Does anyone have one of these? How do you like it? What are the differences between the two models, prices, etc. I have always wanted an alloy framed Commander sized 1911 pattern pistol for concealed carry, and have finally decided to get one.

Speedy

NAD

I have a Pro CDP. It's fantastic!!! :D :D :D

I'm new to .45's and held out for one with all the bells and whistles. It was well worth the wait.

Rick

------------------
I prefer armed combat to unarmed combat. It's easier on the knuckles.

Captain Bligh

I have a plain-jane steel-framed stainless Compact. I absolutely love it and think you'll love yours too. If this is your first Kimber, welcome to the Kimber family.

RJ

[This message has been edited by Captain Bligh (edited May 04, 2000).]

I have a Stainless Compact and it will group under an inch at 25 yards all day long...
Love it... Had them install an Ed Brown Memory grip safety. The extra weight or the steel from is mandatory for a combat weapon... tames the recoil.

Ben

michaelg

Retired Screen Name
I'm a fairly new Kimber owner, bought a Pro Ultra Elite, the subcompact special edition from last year. It is a terrific handgun, I would highly recommend a Kimber. Everyone I know who owns them, swears by them. I was about to buy a Kimber Stainless Gold Combat, but decided to purchase a Les Baer Thunder Ranch instead. Kimber is the last step before going up to a Baer or Wilson--also about $500-700 more! But the Kimber is my conceal carry, a great gun! Good luck with your purchase!

AndABeer

I have no experience with the CDP, but I love my Pro Elite. Light, reliable, accurate, crispy trigger, and the right size for me to carry. I like the full size grip and the 4" barrel. I traded my Elite Carry for it as the shorter grip was just too uncomfortable for me. The only mod I made was an Ed Brown Wedge mainspring housing with a reduced power mainspring. I like the Wedge as it makes the pistol point more naturally for me.

When I am finally legal to carry in my new state of residence, it will definitely be one of three carry choices, the others being a Glock 19 and a Glock 29.

I have heard there are bad Kimbers out there but I have yet to see one and seeing is believing. Whichever one "calls" to you more would be my advice.

[This message has been edited by AndABeer (edited May 05, 2000).]

Bob Jenkins

Nad,

I carry a Kimber Pro Elite. It is a sweet pistol! I like the combination of the light weight frame and the full-sized grip. I carry this pistol concealed in a Kramer IWB #3 holster for 10 - 12 hours daily. I often forget I have it on! It is the perfect carry pistol for me. It has all the custom features I need. I highly recommend the Kimber Pro Elite.

funinsun

Just slapped down the $$ for a compact CDP-gun shop had a pro-elite there-besides looking GREAT-this thing felt good. The only reason I didn't get it was the full grip was just a litle too big for S. FL weather for me-the shorter grip doesn't bother my hands, but the pro-elite's stock was my concern, I needed that shorter stock for myself.

KAZ

I just received my Pro CDP last week. A great gun! It shoots 2 inch groups at 25 yards with no problems. Pay attention to the ammo you use in it, it tends to like ball ammo best.

I am having my local Gunsmith do a trigger job on it (the original already had a great trigger, but I'm picky) and also polish the feed ramp, tune the extractor and throat the barrel (I want it too feed ANYTHING). These are all things I do to EVERY gun I buy, if they need it or not.

I also have a Gold Match that is the best gun I own. It will shoot 1 inch groups at 25 yards. People are amazed at the range when I shoot it. I use 3 inch "Shoot N See" bullseyes that I stick on various places of the target. Each has this nice jagged hole through them (pisses off the range guy because he has to replace the target backing everytime I'm done). ;)

I highly recommend any of the Kimber line of guns.

KAZ

Monkeyleg

I have a plain Pro Carry that rides in a Rosen IWB holster. Had it out today for my bi-monthly point shooting exercise (silhouette target at 25 feet, welder's goggles so I can barely see the target). I usually use American Eagle ball ammo for this, but used Speer this time, and had two failures to feed out of a hundred rounds. That hasn't happened before, so I'll try again with the American Eagle. Hydra Shoks work just fine.

Dick

HYDRA-SHOKz

What Kimber to buy?All of them.I perfer the steel frame and just bought the blued compact custom .It was a toss up between that and the full size Kimber Classic Custom in stainless.Hell I want them both but figured the compact would be better for carry.My bud has the elite and I want that one too.Great guns.Hard to choose which to go with. SHOKz