What killed the Large Caliber Rimfires?

Zorro

Prior to WWII there were many large Caliber rimfire rifles around.

Then POOF! all gone!

So why no more .25, .32, .38 and .44 rimfire rifles?

There is a .22 Magnum and a coming .17 Magnum, so why no more .38 Rimfires?

:confused:

Fatcat

The large caliber centerfires did. :D

I believe centerfire primers are much more reliable and effective in igniting the charge. Ever notice you have more duds with a .22 than a centerfire caliber? Yep.

The downside to centerfire primers is they take up more space than rimfire, so you can't fit em on a .22 or these new .17s.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Reloading, reliability, cost, and power.

You can't reload rimfire cases without special equipment and without handling quantities of raw, explosive priming compound. Not fun. And, reloading a rimfire still doesn't iron out the indentation on the rim. You would have to, on subsequent loadings, orient the rim properly or have a misfire.

Reliability Fatcat has touched on.

Cost is the fact that it takes special, and expensive, equipment to fold the case heads.

The power aspect comes from the fact that folded heads, by their very nature, have to be thin to allow the firing pin to deliver a sufficient blow to detonate the priming compound. In today's high-intensity rounds, the thickness of the hollow rim would have to be extreme to contain the pressures.

And, generally, another consideration is that many of the rimfire rounds never proved to be all that accurate. Why, I'm not sure.

Crimper-D

Modern Improvements...

May get the design and manufacturing boys looking afresh at rimfire loadings in larger calibers. F'instance, the powder used in the new .17 HMR, according to the article on this new loading in the March 2002 American Rifleman, is the "reletively new Hodgon propellant called Lil'Gun. I've loaded .22 Hornet with this powder, and it has one notable charicteristic... significantly lower chamber pressures in max loads than the older powders. If it works in the little cases, and the old loads like 44-40 used by the Cowboy shooters, it may be a modern answer to the larger rimfires as well.;)

Master Blaster

.17 HMR is a very small .17 cal .17 grain bullet, Its purpose to sell more guns.

.22lr is large caliber by comparison.

Reliability and reloadability are very important factors in any round.

Southla1

Member In Memoriam
In one word.......pressure. You cannot load a RF to the presssures that a CF non-balloon head case can take. when a case is made soft enough to be able to be dented by a firing pin on the rim said case must be weak.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Zorro, big rimfires is what they did before they learned how to do better. Sorta like the change from solid tires to balloon tires, be it bicycle or car. Manufacture lasted as long as it did only because of the existence of shootable rimfire pistols.

Basically, there ain't nuthin' a big rimfire will do that needs doin', that ain't done better by centerfire.

Never forget that folks go into manufacturing because a demand exists. First the demand, then the product. When the demand drops away, manufacturers go to different products. That's why there's a dearth of buggy-whip manufacturers. "If I build it, they will come." is a sure-fire recipe for Chapter 7.

:), Art

Jake 98c/11b

Mike, I don't know what you do for fun but to me dealing with quantities of explosives IS what I do for fun, and one of the reasons I joined the military in the first place. Don't see much fun in trying to reload rimfires though.

k77/22rp

I think I saw a .32rf cartridge made by Aguila on the cover of a SGN awhile ago. I guess they dropped it, its not on there website.