What is your tried and true AR10(.308) “Recipe”

rickyrick

Considering building an AR10 in .308, as I have a significant amount of .308/7.62 NATO ammunition that I’m not really using.

Not looking for anything expensive, really just a reliable combination of parts.
I know that there’s a couple of different formats out there.

Are the triggers compatible with AR15s? I have a small box full of those.

Haven’t decided yet to build one, but I figure that I could slowly acquire parts as I do with AR15s.

stagpanther

I've built more than a few AR 10's of various flavors--best advice I can think of is buy the upper, lower and LPK from the same manufacturer if possible--you cannot count on standardized fitment across manufacturers like you can in the AR 15 world. AR 15 and 10 trigger groups are generally one in the same (though you can get ones specially tailored for AR 10's). 308 is IMO a good choice to start with and one that will always have a practical use.

tangolima

Mine has blamish PSA lower and a cheap BCA complete upper in .243. It works. With a bit of tinkering it shoots slightly better than 1moa. It is not a glamorous combination, but it is affordable and works good enough.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

44caliberkid

I would start with an Aero Precision upper and lower, and BCG.
https://www.aeroprecisionusa.com/m5-ar308

AR or LR10’s can be on the heavy side, so I would go with a barrel profile on the lighter side, 16 - 18 inches. Your AR triggers and lower parts will work except for pivot and take down pins, which are wider. Lots of people successfully use an AR magazine catch, but I prefer a catch with a longer shaft, for the wider frame, so it fully threads into the magazine release button. I also am a firm believer in the JP Enterprises enhanced extractor claw for the bolt. It has been the solution for any function problems I’ve ever had with a big frame AR.
There are lots of manufacturers and parts, these are just some things that have worked well for me through 3 LR-10 builds, 308, 6.5 Creedmore, and .243.

taylorce1

stagpanther said:
best advice I can think of is buy the upper, lower and LPK from the same manufacturer if possible

This is probably the best advice. Everyone I know who builds AR-10 rifles gives this advice as well. Most of them have multiple AR-15 builds under their belt, and spent way more money building their first AR-10 than it cost to buy a complete rifle.

MarkCO

I tell folks to pick your BCG first, then get the upper and lower from that manufacturer.

I've been through several of them including JPs, DPMS, Daniel Defense and others. My current is from Stag. I bought the upper, lower and BCG a piece at a time when they went on sale. The 6.5CM upper has a 22" Seekins barrel and the .308 upper has an 18" Faxon barrel. I'll probably get a .243AI barreled upper at some point too. They all share the same BCG and lower.

Aero and Stag are quality companies to get parts from and they are reliable. You can always go PSA for a lower price point.

Yes, AR15 triggers work in AR10s, BUT, you want a full mass hammer and maybe even an XP hammer spring to ignite the slightly harder mil-spec large rifle primers. If you plan to use Federal primers, then that is not needed.