What is your range setup?

G'day. What do you take to the range?
How do you set things up?
Who just sets up in a padock, or in the scrub like I do? I have a small Station
(30x80 km sq) that the cockie lets me shoot on.
Show us some photos of your range and your setup? I went to a proper range once
(I was under 10) so I really only see the 'Hollywood' type of range.
Here is what my basic setup looks like.
http://i337.photobucket.com/albums/n381/princess-bluey/Rodger/PA060045.jpg
PA060045.jpg

I used my sons drum stool and a folding table.

http://i337.photobucket.com/albums/n381/princess-bluey/Rodger/PA060041.jpg
PA060041.jpg

Looking from the target back towards the shooting bench.

http://i337.photobucket.com/albums/n381/princess-bluey/Rodger/PA060042.jpg
PA060042.jpg

Same as previous photo only zoomed in on the camera.

Last edited:
G'day. Whoops the photos might be a bit big. The boy just came in and showed me another trick.
If you hold the 'Ctrl' button and scroll in/out you can change the page size.
Some more photos of my setup.

http://i337.photobucket.com/albums/n381/princess-bluey/Rodger/PA060043.jpg
PA060043.jpg

From the bonnet looking toward the target.

http://i337.photobucket.com/albums/n381/princess-bluey/Rodger/PA060044.jpg
PA060044.jpg

Same as last, just zoomed in.

I just screwed some ply onto a Gum tree, staple on some targets and pick any range I want. I use a GPS to confirm actual range and elevation.

Last edited:

ShootingNut

Skull

Forget the TOO LARGE Photos.
I am jealous, not like my dark cramped no lights (hardly) indoor range.
On the other hand, maybe good HD middle of the night training!:D
Would love to be able, in my area without owning acres, to go outside and just plink around at any target we would set up. Look's like that's what you have going.
Best regards and happy shooting!
SN

GeorgeF

You stink.

I would give a LOT to be able to have an area to shoot like that. I guess thats what I get for living close to civilization. That is a phenomenal setup.

Outdoor ranges near me ( SE PA) are run very strictly with mag capacity limits, no rapid fire, no full auto, etc....

If I were in your situation I would invest in a steel plate system. The kind where you knock them down or they spin or whatever. That helps with the 'general' type of target plinking. This lets you fire away and not have to make frequent trips downrange to change targets.

vox rationis

Great photos, and I enjoyed their big size, they really conveyed the atmosphere.

Very practical shooting set up. I haven't been in the woods/bush to go shooting in 6 years :( but when I used to go I wasn't really bench shooting but plinking for fun, but I think a cheap folding table is a great idea for bench shooting.

And is that a drum set stool I see? :D

SCREAMIII2006

Dang,I wish I could shoot outside like that.
The range her has nazis that make me more nervous then safe.

When I go to the range i try to take at least 2 different calibers.
Eyes and ears
Targets
screwdriver
loader
200-3oo rounds of each caliber
spotting scope
clamps and stapler
rem oil
extra scope
extra mags
cardboard

G'day. Thanks for the complements. I had to chase 2 Roos off the side of the hill where I set the targets up. :p
I had 2 other rifles with me that day.

Dang,I wish I could shoot outside like that.

It was the middle of winter when I took those photos. It was 90f and I got a dose of sunburn and heat stress. I wanted an air conditioner because it was so hot.
I think I would be in the bad books at home if I started shooting indoors.:eek:

What do you use for mosquito repelant?

Not a lot of mozzies around here, not enough water most of the year. The flies are a bother though.

I think a cheap folding table is a great idea for bench shooting....And is that a drum set stool I see?

I found that I was not comfortable on the table as it was a bit low. The height adjustment and swivel on the drum stool was a bonus.

What in the world was your first clue?

Some of the image was missing. hahaha. But I found it. :rolleyes::D:D

redrocketman

G'day yer sculls asked me if he can take my drum stool, because i was not using it at the time. It comes in handy a bit here at home:rolleyes:

PaulMan

Nice setup. As far as targets go may I recomend hanging a tennis ball from an old shoestring on one of those tree limbs. A very challenging target at 100 yards with open sights.

markr

I'm jeolouse. I'd ask to come shoot, but I'm afraid of Funnel Web spiders:eek:

Is this public land or private?

In the USA, most of us are restricted to controlled ranges with rules, and range Nazi's, etc. If you are lucky abough to live somewhere remote enough in the USA, it's no problem. But the issue is, most of us need to also live somewhere in the vicinity of employment. And that means being restricted to 100 yard ranges, with rules up the wazoo.

XLT

looks a lot like where I shoot, although yours is bit greener (for now anyway)

It's a private range, it is pretty basic, but is nice in that it goes out to 400 yards...

Only about 15 minutes up the road, one advantage to living in the desert :D

Gbro

Originally Posted by Gbro
What do you use for mosquito repelant?
I did forget to attach the...:rolleyes:,
When were not shooting Black Powder we use 7 1/2 shot 12Ga.:rolleyes:

There are many many days when we need a head net to do any shooting during the summer, and I get a few whiners when we shoot for qualification during permit to carry classes on a cold winter day when the temp's might reach -40 deg.:cool: