What is your ideal rifle?

Vladimir_Berkov

I you had the option of designing your own ideal rifle (or modifying an existing one) what would it be?

Personally, I would take the Galil as a starting point, but use a lighter stamped steel receiver instead of the milled one. Also, chamber it in 5.45x39 instead of 5.56x45. Make it select-fire but with a low full-auto rate (600 RPM or so) and design the muzzle threads to accept either an AK74 style compensator, flash hider/grenade launcher, or a sound suppressor.
Then add sights for rifle grenades.

Snowdog

Ok, since we're dreaming here....

A DSA FAL with Titanium upper and lower receiver. Yes, I do like the sound of a 6-7 pound FAL (though with an installed muzzle break to offset the increased felt-recoil, I doubt anyone would literally like the 'sound' of it) ;)

Also, I would like to have a Marlin M60 chambered in .380acp. Don't ask me why, I just would like to have one.

glock glockler

Lately, I had a real thing for the Sig 550, only I'd prefer it with full-auto capability rather than that silly burst. That and a big brother for it in .308.

Yep, that'd make me a happy camper.

Vlad, why the 5.45 over the 5.56?

Salt

Ideal rifle?

That depends on the game and the terrain. For deer and most other game I would pick a .30-30 Winchester for most forests and brush country. In more open country I will choose a .270 or 7mm bolt rifle as the shots would be farther out.

For combat, the M-16A2 would be fine for most missions, though I would go with the old M-14 rifle for open country where the shots will be longer.

Urban/Jungle? M-4 carbine

artech

might be changing soon....

I'll let you know after I find a front sight to work on my 16 inch Enfield #4MK1 with the composite stock. This might very well take over for my "tanker" Enfield.

Might set my hat on fire though!:D

Joe Demko

The ultimate rifle for most purposes was designed and produced some time ago. It was, of course, the Savage Model 99.

OkieCruffler

"Also, I would like to have a Marlin M60 chambered in .380acp. Don't ask me why, I just would like to have one."

I've been dreaming of the same thing, only in .32acp. Why? I'm not sure but I think it all started with a bump on the nogin.

Nightcrawler

A semiauto or select fire .308 bullpup with downward ejection (preferable) or at least a reversible bolt. Reliable, easy to take apart, plenty of 20, 25, and 30 round magazines available. Good ghost ring sights, with a quick detachable optics mount.

1.5 MOA or better accuracy, decent (FAL type) trigger.

20" barrel length with flash suppressor/compensator, an an overall length around 30". Over the shoulder "tactical" sling.

Yeah, I'd be in hog heaven.

Daniel

I own it. (The only CF rifle I own.)

Made in '43.
Former member of the Aus Army.

SMLE No1 MK111 .303 Brit. (Gonna put some form of 6x42 mil scope on it; play the 600-800 metre game.)

If we are talking of what I cannot own: some form of M-16 built up into the DMR role. (You know -- kitted up with all the funky gear.)

priv8ter

Ideal

A Pre '64 Winchester Model 70 in 7mm Remington Magnum, just like the one my dad sold for $125 when I went off to join the Navy. SOB!

Cosmoline

My ideal rifle would be:

Open iron sights
Straight bolt
26" plus barrel
Chambered for .338 Win Mag
Mauser '98 action

In essence, it's a Turk Mauser with a spruced up action and a new custom barrel. The added weight of the long barrel would be set off by the lack of a scope. The long barrel would maximize the .338's velocity and minimize blast and noise, though on the down side it might decrease accuracy a tad, though I'm looking into ways around this.

goosegunner

The ideal rifle for me would be.... a hand-made german kipplauf in 6,5x68R... The only thing not ideal by this is the price

Apeach

Assuming I have an unlimited budget - an AR-10 customized to be like an M4 with select fire and with a Knights Armament Rail Adapter System on it. Throw on an ACOG with a night vision setup and maybe some more goodies. Also with a boatload of 30 rd mags. Why? Because it'd be a helluva good time!