• Japanese: Arasaka Type 38 & Type 99

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Germany: Mauser K98K, K98K sniper

Votes: 29 28.4%
  • Italy : Carcano, any variant

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

p99guy

Ok guys, what is your favorite WW2 bolt action rifle?
For me, I collect C&R battle rifles and have the major types in my collection except an Arasaka(probably soon to fix that gap with a Type 38 6.5x50.)
But I have to say hands down if I had to carry one of these WW2 bolt guns into combat, and just fun to shoot as well..my vote would be an Enfield No4 MK1. It holds 10 rds rather than the 5 of most of its competitors, its fast to manipulate and cycle, reasonable power and range, decently good looks.

Manedwolf

Not involved in the fighting, but it was made in 1942...my Swiss K-31. ;)

BTW, never buy an Arisaka without seeing it in person. If you get one of the last-ditch runs, it'll likely explode in your face if you ever shoot it. Awful metallurgy.

p99guy

The Type 38 is a early war and Prewar rifle in the smaller 6.5 caliber, those last ditch guns are simplified Type 99 in 7.7mm. I have 3 K31's myself and really like them..but Enfield is still my all time fav.

I just included warring powers in the poll, as their weapon were used all over the globe, and have widespread track records....the K31 fired a few shots at german border intruders in WW2, and shot a few U.S. Airmen trying to excape Swiss captivity.(there are books on this subject) and were carried by
the swiss guards at the Vatican.

Limeyfellow

It has to be the Lee Enfield, in particular the No4 design.

As a battle rifle, none of the others compare in the speed of operation, in which we are talking over 30 aimed shots a minute. The record is still owned by a Lee Enfield from WW1 that no other bolt action has been able to beat.

The capacity to hold ammo of 10 rounds double that of most other used rifles. I am sorry but thats always an advantage, especially when it didn't see any real increase in the size of the rifle.

Its fixability. It has a removable magazine thats far easier to fix and modify and replace damage. It has replacable bolt heads if the bolt face has been damaged by a ruptured primer or headspace problems and many other features that allow ease of performing field repairs.

The gas bleed system is about as superior to other gas bleeding systems on ruptured primers and so on. It will expel the gas well away from the shooter to the left, rather than on him.

The actual safety is about as good as you can get. It can be adjusted without taking the finger away from a firing position, that your other rifles with a rear bolt safety such as you find on Mauser types, Swiss Scmidt Rubens and Mosins.

Add to that good peep sights, that only the Springfield could compare and in the middle of combat I would argue the Springfield 03a3 sights were overly complex and you didn't have time to do fine adjustments of windage and so on that are nice on target rifles.

It also has a big advantage with variable buttstocks allowing individual fitting to soldier size over 4 or 5 different butt lengths, on a stronger designed butt that is better for smacking someone with than the more delicate Mauser designs with a single built stock.

The No4 Lee Enfield's heavy free floated barrel is a dream for accuracy. The design is far more accurate than its given credit too, even with .303 British, particularly when shooting over 300 yards when it gets better results than even close up. Theres a reason the No4 design was used to build sniper rifles that were in service for over 50 years.

Sure your Mauser rifless like the Kar98, the Springfield and Arisaka are fine rifles but are better at hunting or target shooting than your ww2 combat rifle which is why the Lee Enfield makes it the no1 bolt action of the war.

Abndoc

Ok, Limeyfellow... I have to agree with everything you said about the Enfield.

But my Springfield sure is pretty.

pesta2

Draw for me!

Hey, where is the French MAS. I have one from WWII, never used. Well I heard it did have a white flag tied to it one time.;)

My 1903A3

attachment.php

My Enfield

attachment.php

hj28rules

I once had an Enfield No4 I bought in Georgia in 1967. It cost me $50. I sold it to buy a Remington 660. Both rifles long since gone. The Enfield was a much better 'deer' rifle.

Tikirocker

I am a Milsurp bolt action rifle collector also - and I voted for Lee Enfield. Add to that fact that my local rifle club is the Lithgow Small Arms which is the club first started by workers at the Lithgow Small Arms Factory where all the Australian Lithgow Enfield rifles were made and tested. The range we shoot at is the original test range which has been there since the late 1800's - and is still used today by ADI who currently make and test all the small arms for the Aussie Defence Forces today.

Personally while I love a No4 I have a preference for the No1 MKIII* which is a classic among my fellow country men. While England and other Commonwealth nations such as Canada, South Africa et al used the No4 during WW2 Australia maintained the production and use of the No1 for both world wars - namely the MKIII* - among the No1's the Lithgows are King for me - more proof markings to found on them than any other SMLE of other manufacture - slightly different assembly and construction, using Queensland Maple and later Coachwood - incredibly fast and butter smooth cycling of the bolt ( fastest of any battle rifle ) - 10 round mag - excellent sights and a round ( .303 ) that has lasted longer in battle usage than any other ( 60+ years ) as well as having taken all of the Big 5 game on earth - as well as just about every type of game on earth taboot!

Should I also mention that Lee Enfield rifles are still being used in Afghanistan and in other parts of the world to this very day?

This thread is useless without pics ... so here's a few of mine.

Lithgow 1943 No1 MKIII* Heavy Barrel. all matching

MYLITHGOWFINISHED1.jpg

MYNEWLITHGOW2.jpg

Lithgow 1927 No1 MKIII ( Only 3000 made that year ) - all matching

1927Lithy4.jpg
[/IMG]

1927Lithy3.jpg

Savage 1944 No4 MK1* - all matching

No4Savage2.jpg

No4Savage3.jpg

p99guy

The French did more to take back control of their country with allied supplied weapons, than they had the brief chance to with the MAS36...so I just didnt consider the MAS a major factor with american shooters/hunters(and ammo was rare for a long long time) The French resistance favored the M1 Carbine above all others supply dropped to them for example.

Tikirocker..darn fine examples you have there :) I have in the Past owned a 1942 Lithgow No1 MK3
My current No4 MK1 is a 1943 Faz with a A.J. Parker match rear sight.

Tikirocker

Thanks P99 ....

I'd like a Faz in a No4 - I chasing down a Longbranch as we speak and I have a No5 Mk1 Faz Jungle Carbine made in 45 also. By the way, I love Warren Oates - nice to see some people still appreciate the classics! ;)

Sturmgewehre

I was trying to channel Lee Harvey Oswald so I could vote for the Carcano but couldn't make a connection. Everyone knows these are the most accurate and fastest shooting rifles in the world.

Smokey Joe

Left one out!

P99Guy--Hey, I can't vote for my favorite: The 1917 Enfield: Cock-on-closing, .30'06, nifty dog-leg bolt handle, 10 round magazine, built like a brick pizzeria! What's not to like??

Kilt my first deer ever with mine.

RedneckFur

If this thread is worthless without pics, I'd better raise the retail value just a bit...
Enfield2.jpg

My No1 MkIII SMLE. 1912 BSA, Sent to Australia in WW2, where it was restocked and rebarreled at lithgow. The action is AMAZING in how smooth it works and how tight it locks up for its age. I'm not used to the recoil, so until I can get more comfortable shooting it, I cant really give a range report.

Tikirocker

G'day Redneck,

Nice to see your BSA No1 ... I just wanted to inform you that your rifle is an Ex Drill Purpose rifle ... you ought to see DP on the stock somewhere - in any case there were three different colours on the stocks in Australia for DP rifles in the old days ... Green was good to go - live fire drill rifle, Yellow was moderately good condition used for parade and Red was no go, beyond repair only used as a dummy.

Tikirocker

P99,

Great looking rifles mate ... nice to see you've got an aperture sight on that No4 too. Do you target shoot that baby? My No4 is fitted with an aperture sight plate for when I shoot Fullbore with it - Fullbore is the tradtional Military rifle discipline in Australia from our earliest times - basically shoot prone, using only a sling and aperture sights out to 1000 yards.

Leif

Enfield(s). I'm surprised nobody's been along yet to tell you that you forgot to include the Swedish Mausers. :eek:

p99guy

No, while I have never shot a formal match with my No4, I do enjoy having the A.J. Parker sights( had to get them from New Zealand!)

here is my Mosins...91/30 1940 Tula, 1945 M44 Izzy with East German Markings, and my 1943 Izzy 91/30 PU

20070529012on8.jpg

and my 3 K31's
20061005003eb4.jpg

A couple of close ups of my A.J. Parker sight
200502070036ow.jpg

200502070047kx.jpg

my Russian capture byf 44 98K mauser
20060131004ff0.jpg

20060131002rh6.jpg