What is your favorite DAO trigger?

Venom1956

What auto with a hammer and just a DAO trigger setup do u think is the best? I don't want a DA/SA or a precocked striker. I found a Beretta DAO 92 police surplus no safety that had just a fantastic trigger pull. I would like to see what other guns you all like and that I should look @.

TunnelRat

Just curious, why no DA/SA?

SIG P250 actually has a very nice DAO trigger, just be sure to get one of the newer models with all the initial trouble worked out. Very affordable option too. The HK LEM series is DAO while allowing for a reset before releasing the trigger completely. SIG DAK pistols technically allow the same, though also technically aren't supposed to be used that way.

Venom1956

because a DAO auto trigger is really easy to make it feel like a really really nice DAO revolver trigger. (Which I enjoy shooting) If its a DA/SA it seems like the DA is just blah because its only the first shot and the SA gets most of the use.

Also Ill have to double check but I dont have a DAO auto afaik? :confused:;)

TunnelRat

because a DAO auto trigger is really easy to make it feel like a really really nice DAO revolver trigger. (Which I enjoy shooting) If its a DA/SA it seems like the DA is just blah because its only the first shot and the SA gets most of the use.

Gotcha. I would disagree that a DA/SA pistol can't have a nice DA pull, there are a number I can think of. That said, DAO semiautos will be most like a DAO revolver. You do have the long reset factor, which if you don't mind go for it. It just seems these days a short reset is in high demand so DAO has sort of fallen by the wayside. The HK LEM and SIG DAK do allow for a shorter reset, at least better. I do think the P250 is a good option though, especially for the money. Very smooth pull. I have never tried a DAO Beretta.

AK103K

I always liked my SIG P250's trigger. I liked my P245's DAO (not DAK) trigger, even better. Both were very nice, as were most all my SIGs standard DA triggers.

The only ones I fiddled with, were the P6's, and that was just to bring them more in line "feel wise" with the "commercial" SIG's. They were heavier, but still not bad.

2ndsojourn

Another for the Sig 250 DAO trigger. After trying several handguns (revolvers & auto loaders) my gf chose the Sig. I watched her try them all and I agree she made the right choice...for her.

I like the Para USA LDA pistols. Their trigger needs no work out of the box (generally).

However ... they don't have second strike capability so, aside from the name, there's some controversy as to whether or not they are really double action. (But they're not single action so, if not DA, then what are they?)

Venom1956

I would disagree that a DA/SA pistol can't have a nice DA pull,

Oh not what i meant it just seems like you get the first shot in DA and the rest in SA. So you dont get the DA shot after shot. So it always feels 'bad' compared to the SA. But hey I also prefer DAO revolvers with no SA notch in the hammer because it feels better. Maybe I am picky. :D

However ... they don't have second strike capability so
The plot thickens... :p

I love my Kahr T9 but in the end its still just a SA with a long pull.

Something about that 92 with ever pull of the trigger the bobbed hammer came back and came down... very revolver like.

Last edited:
Para LDAs are definitely not single action. You can't manually cock the hammer. I don't know what they are, but I bought one when they first came out and the trigger was the best I've ever seen aside from "real" 1911s with their sliding SA triggers.

TunnelRat

So it always feels 'bad' compared to the SA.

Yea, when I go to the range I always run through a few mags dedicated to DA. Plus as Bruce Gray says, dry fire practice with DA/SA pistols is a must. It's a good idea with any firearm, but for DA/SA it makes all the difference.

I would honestly consider the P250.

TBT

If I were forced into using a DAO pistol it would probably be a P250. Seems like the best execution of a bad idea thus far...

RX-79G

I would count any trigger that fully cocks and releases the striker/hammer AND mainspring with every shot as DAO. The Kahr does not count because the striker starts partially cocked, which is why it is not able to second strike.

I would not call any short reset trigger DAO. That second shot on a Glock or LEM after a tiny reset is certainly not a "double action". There is only one action performed at that point, since the striker or hammer fully cocked after each shot.

The LDA, like the LEM, Daewoo Fast Action/Double Action + and FN's SFS are all systems that use completely cocked mainsprings with uncocked hammers. In terms of pre-cocked springs, they are arguably SA. The fact that the hammer is out of position is nifty, but somewhat meaningless. More of a nice feeling than an actual mechanical safety mechanism. FN first came up with this idea in the early '80s, before the Glock came out. It is the granddaddy of all the pre-cocked mechanisms that followed.

Beretta 92Ds, especially worn in ones, have beautiful triggers. You can duplicate that for the first shot with 92 DA/SA guns as well. The 250 may well be better.

foxytwo

Still another vote for the Sig P250, one of the smoothest triggers you will find. Another plus is that you can change the grip size or have a different caliber exchange kit.

TunnelRat

I would not call any short reset trigger DAO. That second shot on a Glock or LEM after a tiny reset is certainly not a "double action". There is only one action performed at that point, since the striker or hammer fully cocked after each shot.

The LDA, like the LEM, Daewoo Fast Action/Double Action + and FN's SFS are all systems that use completely cocked mainsprings with uncocked hammers. In terms of pre-cocked springs, they are arguably SA. The fact that the hammer is out of position is nifty, but somewhat meaningless. More of a nice feeling than an actual mechanical safety mechanism. FN first came up with this idea in the early '80s, before the Glock came out. It is the granddaddy of all the pre-cocked mechanisms that followed.

I'm only reporting what the manufacturer has written up the trigger system is. If you want to argue semantics I'm all for it and probably agree. To me LEM and DAK still offer second strike capability and a constant trigger pull weight. Are they true DAO? No, but they aren't SAO either. They're a hybrid. I think they're also just as safe and worth considering.