What is your favorite cut of venison?

nate45

Back strap and the tenderloins. I like to cut the back strap into inch thick sections, butterfly them, pound them with the tenderizing hammer, batter them and fry it in my deep frier. The rest of the deer goes into, hamburger, sausage and/or snack sticks. I take a chuck roast and trim the fat off it then cube it up. Then I mix 1/3 of it with 2/3 deer meat and grind it into hamburger, deer meat is a little too lean by itself for good hamburger. One time I mixed 1/3 wild hog, 1/3 beef chuck and 1/3 deer and ground them together, it made great hamburger. For the sausage I mix in a third of lean pork and sausage seasoning. I have the professional processor make the beef sticks.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
I know many take them loins out of the inside when they field dress and a buddy fries medallions whils the deer is butchered and the medallions are gone before the deer is chillin'!
Brent

I prefer the chops bone-in and grilled as some have posted. the hams I take the large muscle and cut into steaks for breading/frying. the rump I usually de-bone carefully and do the same.
debone the neck for a roast and save the ribs for the grill - not a lot of meat but tasty. the fore-quarters cut into stew as the rest of the hams, or sausage/burger mixed with some beef fat.
fresh liver w/onions is the only time I can eat liver due to cholesterol. just one-two servings yearly but it's fine fare. tongue also.

12GaugeShuggoth

Absolute favorite is to pan-fry the heart with onions and garlic. On the more "normal" level of things would be making some in to jerky strips, yum yum :)

22-rimfire

Burger; usually make meat loaf with it. 75% of the deer is made into hamburger and I give away the rest. Beef tastes a lot better to me.

MeekAndMild

Last year Mrs. Meek found some more crockpot recipes for deer roast so I've been really enjoying those little 2 pound roasts made from the hams. Nothing like chili made with roasted deer instead of ground meat. She has a new secret marinade for barbecued tenderloins, but that is only for special occasions. :)

I've gotten to where I really dislike beef as being too coarse and odd tasting compared to deer.

scottycoyote

roast or deer steaks. A little secret i learned is to pressure cook all my cuts first, then finish them off by preparing however i like, pan fry, bake....etc. It kills whatever could possibly be in the meat, and it makes pretty much any cut of meat as tender as the best ribeye you can imagine......highly recommend it.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Scotty, What PSI under pressure and how long to cook at pressure?
Sounds good and I like to Pressure cook as well. I have a 3-way pressure weight for mine of 5, 10 and 15 psi...
Brent

fisherman66

tenders and bstraps....battered and fried, thick cut steaks, k-bobs wrapped in bacon

Beef tastes a lot better to me.

Sounds like a quality control issue to me. With the exception of a very rutty buck, a healthy deer will have zero gamy taste if well cared for during the cleaning and cooling stage.

KY Jim

What ever part is on my plate and in the freezer. "I LOVE IT ALL" except I don't eat the organ meat. I would have to say my favorite venison dish is;
CHILI!!!!!!!!!!
I like my deer cooked well done and well seasoned.
Jim

Swampghost

Tenderloin to the grill, what were you out there for? You can do so much with the rest. Steaks are great as is a neck roast, BBQ ribs anybody? I just think about them as a smaller version of a steer.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
A south Texas hunting ranch had mostly citified dude hunters as its clientele. That meant that the guides did all the field-dressing and butchering, letting the dude carry packaged meat home. Some, of course, wanted to take back the whole deer so they could show it off to their friends or neighbors.

So, the last thing before wrapping the body into "totable" condition was to remove the "poison sacs".

"What are the poison sacs?" "We cut those out so if the carcass is tossed out somewhere, dogs won't eat those and get sick and die." "Oh, thanks."

The guides had a whole bunch of poison sacs in the freezer.

Some folks call those "tenderloin" or "inner tenders" or some such...

:D:D:D

fisherman66

:D
We've done that before Art. Not with clients, but with a newbie lease/property guests. We called them "poison glands". That's the price of getting someone else to field dress and quarter.