What is your favorite ammo for SD

JY-

for use in a SIG P220 .45? I have been using Federal Personal Defense Hydro Shock 230gr in other pistols and like it. I am willing to try something else if you can recommend something better. Thanks. JY-

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
I will third the nomination of Federal's 230 grain Hydra-Shok's.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

zanthope

Have some HydraShocks and like 'em.

Lately I've stayed with the Speer +P 200 gr Gold Dot. Lots of expansion and lots of energy.

IanS

What's the difference between the Personal Defense HS and standard HS? Less recoil and velocity with the Personal Defense?

If it is I'd go with the tried and tested standard HS.

Another .45 defense load that I think is just as good as the HS is Remington Golden Saber in 230 grain.

krept

If you shoot the HS well I'd stick with them. My favorite are the 230gr Speer Gold Dots. Like the bonded core and the large cavity, but they also shoot well for me.

jack_the_sailor

Right now Winchester Ranger 147 gr. Next time I need new carry ammo. Who knows? Depends on whats available at gun stores/shows. Wal-mart has Winchester USA personal protection ammo in 115 gr & 147 gr. They may not have that ammo each week but they stock it regularly. Winchester USA personal protection ammo cost only $10.96 for 50 rds. Over at ammo lab. They use Glock 17 to test ammo. The # look equal Winchester USA personal protection 115 gr & Winchester Ranger 127 gr +P+. Same for Winchester USA personal protection/Ranger 147 gr. Why pay $20 for a box of 50 pretty black bullets, when ya can spend $10.96 for copper top bullet that will do the same job?

Rob96

I like Triton, Corbon and Speer Gold Dot. For an inexpensive round, the Winchester USA 230gr JHP is also a good load.

foghornl

For the Vaquero .357, 158 Gr Gold Dot
In the snubby .38, Fed 110Gr Personal Defense JHP [NOT +P]
The KP-90 Ruger .45ACP load is Rem 230Gr Golden Sabre.

These are the loads that each gun "likes the best". Your mileage will vary.

CWL

I stoke Pro Loads in any caliber (as long as it's .45ACP) as well as Ranger SXT in 9MM.

12ga. gets Federal reduced recoil 000 buck.

Lost interest in Corbon after they sold batches of problematic ammo eeven though they knew there was an issue.

bpisler

My choices are are as follows
380acp;triton quik-shok 90gr QSHP +P
9mmP;glock 19, 124 GSHP +P,kel-tec P-11,
115gr silvertips
2" 38spl;cor-bon 125gr JHP
4" 38spl;158gr +P LSWCHP,remington or winchester
2" 357 mag;cor-bon 110gr JHP
3-4" 357 mag;cor-bon 125gr JHP
3.5" to 4.25" 45acp;remington 185gr +P GSHP,5" 45's;230gr GSHP.

GunsnRovers

my choices

In .45ACP: Remington Golden Saber in 230 grain
In 9MM: Federal Nyclad HP 124 grain

Neither are particularly "hot" rounds, but both have been very reliable and accurate in my guns.

Jeff