What is your benchmark for a "big bore" bullet?

What's the bare minimum for big bore?

• .40 caliber (.40 S&W)

Votes: 11 16.4%
  • .41 Caliber (.410 Bore)

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • .429 Caliber (.44 Special)

Votes: 32 47.8%
  • .45 Caliber (.45 ACP)

Votes: 7 10.4%
  • .50 Caliber (.50AE)

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • OVER FIFTY! It ain't big bore 'nless it leaves a big 'ol hole, boi!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Forte S+W

I know that most folks consider .45 caliber bullets to be big bore, but I've seen folks refer to bullets as small in diameter as .40 caliber to be big bore bullets as well.

I'm curious to see what is the minimum caliber/bore diameter the majority considers worthy of the "big bore" designation.

NOTE: This poll is in regards to Bullet Diameter, not muzzle energy. Please answer accordingly.

Last edited:

tipoc

357 Sig and 357 Magnum I purposely left them out as being mid bore with 38 caliber/9mm bullets. But of the two I'd chose the 357 Magnum as having the power to elevate it into big bore contention but with an asterisk.

For me, ya gotta have a cut off point or you begin to include a few necked down odd balls. Maybe nothing wrong with that though. Also why not the 9x23 Winchester? Big bore refers to bore size and not power I figure.

tipoc

jimku

I consider my .41 magnum to definitely be in the big bore category and I don't give a rip what the "majority" thinks. It is 90% as powerful as a .44 mag. and puts a .44 Special or .45ACP to shame.

Forte S+W

CDW4ME said:
This, but I kinda wanna include 357 Sig.

.357 SIG is actually a .355"/9mm Bullet, no larger in diameter than .380 ACP, ergo if you consider .357 SIG to be Big Bore, then you also consider .380 ACP Big Bore.

jimku said:
I consider my .41 magnum to definitely be in the big bore category and I don't give a rip what the "majority" thinks. It is 90% as powerful as a .44 mag. and puts a .44 Special or .45ACP to shame.

Muzzle energy isn't a factor here, just the diameter lf the bullet/bore.

I attempted to illustrate this point by using typically non-magnum cartridges as examples after a similar poll on another forum received similar results, but it seems like I need to be more specific.

jimku

The .44 mag bullet diameter is .429 inches. The .41 mag is .410 inches. Difference is .019 inches. 19 hundredths of an inch is negligible at best.
The .41 mag is honestly named, the .44 mag isn't.
The .41 mag is an honest 41 caliber bullet, the .44 mag is actually closer to a 43 caliber.

Last edited:

44 AMP

Staff
Speaking only of bore diameter, in handguns, traditionally, "big bore" starts with .40 caliber and goes up.

.38-40 counts, despite the name, it uses a .40 caliber bullet.

.40, and even .41 is the "small end" and "full" big bore status are the .44s and .45s and above.

There are people who put 40/41 calibers in the "Medium bore" class and reserve "big bore" to 44s and up...

There's no set rule that I know of.

The .41 mag is an honest 41 caliber bullet, the .44 mag is actually closer to a 43 caliber.

yes, but do you know why??

dgang

If we are talking handguns .41+, rifles .405 but most would consider a .375 as big bore. I definitely consider my .45/70 as big bore. Tossing a 455 gr. cast bullet @ 1770 fps will make a believer out of you.

Last edited:

dgang

The .44 mag bullet diameter is .429 inches. The .41 mag is .410 inches. Difference is .019 inches. 19 hundredths of an inch is negligible at best.
Jimku, that is 19/1000th of an inch. Indeed negligible.

Crankylove

Big Bore, as in bore size, for me, starts with .44 (.429”)

Talking about Power, instead of caliber/diameter, is a whole different discussion.

FrankenMauser

The .44 mag bullet diameter is .429 inches.
Most are actually .430" nowadays. If you're going to split hairs, at least split them all.
And actual groove diameter in modern firearms has edged up to .430-432" for most .44 Special, .44 Mag, and .444 Marlin barrels.

jimku

Jimku, that is 19/1000th of an inch. Indeed negligible.
So it is ... a split hair indeed.
Anyway, since "big bore" supposedly starts at 44 caliber, and a .44 magnum is less that 44 caliber, I guess a .44 magnum isn't a "big bore" at all? And if it is, then so is a .41 mag.
But I don't have much truck with split hair nonsense (blonde or otherwise) so as far as I'm concerned they are both big bores.
For those of you who enjoy splitting hairs, I give you Bart Simpson.
bart_mooning.gif

And for those who discount power, and only look at bore diameter, I have a cork gun that is about 50 caliber that satisfies your definition of "big bore".
Never mind that it won't even put a hole in a paper plate. I could stick a firecracker in it and call it a "firearm". :D

Last edited:

44 AMP

Staff
The people who make a thing generally get to name it what ever they want. IF you look at the history of metallic cartridges over the last 150 years or so, it seems the only real constant is that the first DIGIT of the cartridge name has some relationship with the bore size.

After that, its all over the map, dependent on the maker's desire and what they believe to be a marketable name.

Earlier I asked if you knew why our .44s are "really" .43s. Our ".38s" are really ".36s" (round up)...

It has to do with history, and cartridge/bullet development, from the days of cap & ball revolvers on up through today, along with what the makers thought was catchy and would sell.

Look it up, its interesting stuff. :D