What is wrong with handguns prices on gundeals?

Kurbsky

My website to shop for better handgun prices have always been gundeals. Now I am getting some nonsense from them. The revolver I can easily get for $1,700-2,000 from several local gun stores are consistently quoted there for $3,047. Does anyone understand why?

reddog81

What $2,000 revolver are we talking about? Gundeals is good for most common items. For some harder to find unique stuff online vendors can get goofy with pricing.

Kurbsky

It's Colt Python 2020 6". It is a mass priduced gun and I understand that it's not hard to find new for a high price. But what gundeals is quoting is a super high price when they are supposed to quote the best deal available.

reddog81

People are still buying them online for inflated prices while the local shops have to reduce to MSRP to move the product. I had a local shop offer my a 6” model for MSRP a couple weeks ago.

Kurbsky

Wow! MSRP is pretty good. I would take it. I hope the new Colt owner CZ will not start changing prices. I noticed they did increase MSRPs on CZ pistols.

reddog81

I thought about it for awhile but at this point I’m more interested in the new anaconda. I’ve already got a good variety of .357 Magnums.

TunnelRat

Yes...it looks like gun.deals are out of touch with reality for some handgun products.

Out of touch? The website is a price aggregator. They’re not setting any prices or selling to you directly. They’re simply reporting the availability and prices at a number of online vendors. Whether those online vendors are selling at prices that are more or less than you can find locally varies by the firearm and the market. This has always been true in my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reddog81

There's a disconnect between online retailers and the prices they can charge to a national audience versus local shops selling to walk in customers. It's not Gun.deals fault the online retailers can charge more to a national audience.

The people out of touch with reality are those paying an extra $1,000 for a Python.

Kurbsky

I see your point. In this case my money saving strategy for the last 10 years to shop for handguns online only without considering local gun shops or gun shows - was wrong.

TunnelRat

I see your point. In this case my money saving strategy for the last 10 years to shop for handguns online only without considering local gun shops or gun shows - was wrong.

It wasn’t entirely wrong.

I would say many times online is cheaper. There are firearms that can be cheaper locally, but that depends very much on your local stores and the type of markup they want to charge and/or how good are their distributor connections.

Online vendors seem to do more volume and seemingly accept lower markup per firearm. Then again we see pandemic pricing where products are out of stock locally due to heightened demand and some online vendors raise their prices as they see fit. Some stores selling online also have a store in their home location, whereas others seem to only do online sales.

In my experience it’s worth checking local shops periodically to get a sense of prices. For instance, before the pandemic ammunition was always cheaper for me online, even with shipping. The pandemic came along and some online vendors went up to $1 a round of 9mm. Around me locally it never went about $0.60 a round at the brick and mortar stores, and some stayed lower than that. The local stores also steadily went down in price faster than online. I’m just starting to see online once again cheaper than locally, and that took over a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scoobysnacker

Watching this awhile, I'd say Gun.deals is more of an advertisement space, than a bargain finder.

• I've found ammoseek can find better prices than the wikiarms engine that Gundeals uses.
  • Last summer, I found a better online deal for an AR, than what was on Gundeals at the time. This was a specific model, we're not talking "I found an Anderson for cheaper than a Ruger"
  • Several times, I was able to find ammo (calibers) online using google, or from tips in forums, that did not show up in any of the gun-oriented search engines (they'd say none available, while I had a legit website pulled up in another tab, with available stock)

I still check the site, but it's definitely not the be-all, end-all of deals (like the similarly mentioned Slickdeals seems to be for general deals). You see a lot of Sportsman's Guide ads, Palmetto State Armory, Ky Gun Works, etc. Can't say I've seen an Sgammo deal listed, you might find one in the ammo links but it's not an ad, just the link.
I wonder if you have to pay to get an ad posted.

Drm50

The people that pay these crazy prices are driving the market. A good portion of today’s gun buyers just decide they want certain gun and go buy it.