What is with these Maxiballs

deerslayer303

I've got a couple boxes of TC .50 320gr Maxiballs that won't fit in 2 rifles I've tried them on. I tried them in a CVA Plainsman and save for a hammer and a punch they would not even start to go down the barrel. And the Thompson Hawken doesn't like them either. Good grief I think I need to add a mallet and a long brass punch to the possibles bag. :D I guess this is just another reason I love shooting RB. They should melt up nice and make a few more Roundball though.

Pahoo

You can do better

I like to run my own lead and gave up on these a long time ago as well as others that are still very current and popular. I believe these were the first conicals that TC started producing as well as the Max-Hunters. I prefer the Maxi's as well as the Hornady Great-Plaines. .... :rolleyes:

Be Safe !!!

Pahoo

Mass and wind resistance !!

I'll just stick with the ole round ball. I don't know why I mess with them fancy bullets
Good call and the biggest advantage to the conicals, is that mass kills. Also less wind resistance compared to a round ball. Currently working with a .45 conical mini-ball, hollow base and it's a tach driver and killer as well. ... :)

Be Safe !!!

deerslayer303

Nice! I am gonna try a power belt in the old Gal one of these days. She does quite well with a round ball though. Loves that 70gr of 2F mark. Can't seem to get her any tighter than about 4" groups at 100 yards. Which is perfectly fine by me. But I tell ya the itch is there for a Green Mtn. 1:70 barrel.