What is with gun prices in Va.?

smitty21

What is with gun prices in Va.? Everywhere I go, guns are up in price. I'm originally from Pa., and when I go home, I look around. The same guns there are generally $150-200 cheaper. For instance, I bought a Beretta Border Marshal in Pa. for $519, I saw it down here in Va. for $689. Can somebody explain this to me?

Cypselus

Between the lobbyists, the lawyers, the politicians, and the newly-minted internet millionaires, there's just a whole lot of money floating around Virginia, particularly Northern Virginia. People pay $1100 a month for a 1 bedroom apartment 20 miles from the city in Herndon.

More generally, prices are up because of lawsuits and because UPS have added $30 -$40 to the price of every handgun by requiring them to be delivered via next-day air.

Smitty,

Where are you going to buy your guns? A LOT of the gunshops in Northern Virginia are gouging people at Suggested Retail +++! :eek:

I used to work for Blue Ridge Arsenal -- I was embarassed to sell those guns.

The owner used to whine like a b**** about gunshows cutting into his business.

He just couldn't grasp the fact that if he were to cut prices so that he was getting about half his margin, he would SERIOUSLY undercut the other gunshops in the area, and give the shows a run for their money.

He was way too stupid for that, though. Former DC Police Inspector, thought he knew everything.

------------------
Beware the man with the S&W .357 Mag.
Chances are he knows how to use it.

johnbt

The stores and shows in Richmond aren't any better. My CZ75B for $349 looked like a steal compared to a recently delivered stainless Colt 1991A for $869 in the same shop. John (edit - Green Top prices)

[This message has been edited by johnbt (edited August 10, 2000).]

jawper

smitty21,

I keep hearing that NoVa is sky-high (everything else is). Down here in Hampton Roads, the prices seem much more reasonable. Even up in Richmond, the retail prices are noticeably higher. Perhaps you need to take a little weekend trip to Virginia Beach and check out some of the gun shops along the way.

A colleague of mine and I did this in reverse the other week. We were heading up to our Alexandria offices for some meetings and stooped into GreenTop Guns at I-95 & I-295. Great store and great people. I think they wanted in the range of $650 for the Sig 239 with night sights that my buddy wanted. After we got back on the road, I called one of the shops down here in Norfolk where I do a lot of business. Eventually got them to quote the same gun for $570. Needless to say that my buddy bought lunch that day.

Although the whole state is doing well financially, the demographics are undeniably different down here. Particularly thanks to the military population, price points on everything are different. If you're thinking of spending some $$$ and ever get down to Hampton Roads for business or play, it's really worth looking around down here. Hell, you can always let me know what you want and I'll ask around.

------------------
Best,
- Jawper

Bob Locke

(shameless plug to follow)

Bring yourself to The Armory (5313 Indian River Rd. in Virginia Beach) next time you find yourself down this way. Give yourself a little leeway on time because the City of Virginia Beach requires you to obtain a purchase permit ($10 harassment tax) in order to buy a handgun. Long guns are cash and carry (checks and charges are also welcome) after the background check, of course.

Look for the tall, good-looking guy with brown hair and blue eyes. :D

I'd be glad to help you, and we have the best prices in the area. And that's NOT a shameless promo, because it's the truth. :D

Our boss's philosophy is to make a little on each gun and to sell a BUNCH of them! That's why I went from faithful customer to part-time employee.

Apple a Day

Smitty,
Some of that depends on where you buy around here. Shop around. There is a gun show coming in early September to the Coliseum if you can wait that long. You can usually find a bargain or two there if you don't mind the $5 to get in. Good hunting :)
Apple in Poq.

------------------
Those who use arms well cultivate the Way and keep the rules.Thus they can govern in such a way as to prevail over the corrupt- Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Poodleshooter

Hadn't noticed any price rise near Charlottesville. I bought a Glock 30 (new w/ 2 10rd mags) awhile back for only $489+tax. That's only about $20 over wholesale. Gun shows near Richmond are also offering ridiculously low prices on the SAR series of AK clones. You just have to shop smart and avoid the "my rifle is priceless" kind of guys. Stick to the high quantity/low margin guys with stacks and stacks of boxes on their tables. Also, stay out of NoVA. It's basically a diseased area polluted by MD and Washington D.C. High prices, low freedom, the whole works!
Sic Semper Tyrannis

dZ

i saw a CZ75B at Atlantic guns in Rockville MD the other night

$399

Everything in Metro DC is more expensive than Pennsylvania.

I figure if i want to have gunshops in Montgomery county i must pay the "tax" and buy locally anyway.

It looks like i am paying at least $50 bucks for the priviledge of living here:
CZ-75 B 9MM MILITARY WITH TRITIUM NIGHT SIGHTS (2-464) **SALE**
$349.95
http://www.jgsales.com/CZPISTOL.html#TOP

dZ

smitty21

I am here in Hampton, at Langley. Every store here is off the wall, especially one in Norfolk. I guess I'm gonna have to take a trip to Va. Beach this weekend!!

Mike in VA

In general, I find gun prices are up across the board, partly due to increased costs, partly due to hysteria (get 'em while you still can -). Galyans in Fair Lakes off 66 seems to have the best prices around NoVa. I paid $499 for a SIG 239/9mm, $699 for Kimber Compact in stainless, $539 for a Beretta 92FS in stainless. Not great, but given the location, pretty decent. Potomac Arms sometimes features one brand or another, I picked up a .45 Cougar for $469 last summer. Good prices can be had if you shop around. As was mentioned, the demographics are more 'normal' down your way, so I'd get acquainted with Mr. Locke and other area shooter to get the G2 on teh locla dealers. Good luck. M2

MBG

The best way to buy firearms in No. VA?

Roadtrip!

There are shows in Richmond about once every other month (including this weekend.) Galyan's has some of the best local prices, but you have that 4 day wait for Fairfax county.

I might need to visit Mr. Locke, the next time I am down in that direction.

Marty

BTW, I just noticed you are in Hampton. No help there, sorry.

Bobbalouie

I can vouch for The Armory's prices and atmosphere. Their prices are low enough to match just about anything I've seen (even on the internet) and their people ARE friendly and helpful. This is the ONLY dealer where, for fun, I've participated in a "field strip and reassemble" race with one of the the staff. What a hoot.

Bobbalouie

PS. Despite what he says, Bob Locke's pretty cool too! (hehehe) He's helped me before.

SnakeLover

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks Green Top prices are on the high side. Plus since they carry alot of S&W, they have experience keeping guns rather than selling. :)

I'm heading to the gun show this weekend at the fairgrounds, not intending to buy anything of course!! I will bet that on most guns, you can find them $60-$100 less at a show. So should something nice catch my eye, I can justify it to the wife by saying "honey, it's a good deal, consider it bought on sale"!!

johnbt

I hope you find a deal. The last show at The Showplace even had a multiple-table, new-gun dealer w/ 2 blue Kel-Tec (edit: P-32's) priced at $319. There's always something priced right, but the same dealers seem to charge less at shows 2 or 3 hours west of Richmond. I always look forward to the cashew and trail mix lady and the folks selling habanero beef jerky and jalapeno potato chips. See ya there. John

[This message has been edited by johnbt (edited August 10, 2000).]

Bob Locke

johnbt,

We sell the P-32 for $239.95 (right now, prices are fluctuating both up AND down slightly right now).

Far as I know, we're the only shop in Hampton Roads that sells ANY Glock for under $500. We have MOST of them for $479-$489. All three .45 ACP models are higher than that, as are the 34 and 35. The rest of them (12-15 models) are in the stated range.

I'd love to meet you guys! And PLEASE identify yourselves next time you stop in and I'm behind the counter!

Ivanhoe

Bob, I though the way the permit thing worked in places like the People's Republic of VA Beach was that only local residents needed the permit? Otherwise how could anybody well a pistol at the gun show at the Pavilion?

Also, if I drop by I'll be sure to announce in a loud voice that "I'm lookin' fer that Bob Locker feller that promised 40% discounts to Internet customers." ;)
Seriously, if you have a good selection, good service, good prices, and convenient location, I don't see how you can go wrong. You are competing against morons as far as I can tell. A sales droid at one of your competitors once suggested that I trim down 10mm brass to make .40S&W brass (this was back when the .40 first came out). Minor detail; the 10mm brass has a much thicker web and thus different case volume, therefore using standard .40 loads would have blown the gun. Duh!

smitty21, if you're talking about Bob's G&T down on Granby, I wouldn't be surprised. They wanted $60 to install a NY trigger spring in a Glock. $2 part, 3 minutes of labor for an amateur like me. Just the thing to build customer relations.

p.s. Bob, do y'all have a range and rental guns? I've got an itch for the Kahr P9 but want to test-drive first...