What is this shotgun?

NJ3inNC

Hi. I have a question about a gun and maybe you could help me out.

The gun I have is a W & C Scott & Son double barrel 12 Gauge shotgun with hammers.

The markings I can tell you about are these:

1. W & C Scott and Sons engraved on both hammer sides.

2. Patent Steel Breech.

3. Castle turret.

4. "31516" under forestock.

5. "122" on right barrel.

6. either "122" or "322" on left barrel.

Do you know anything about this gun, or maybe what it's worth?

Thanks,
Nick

Dfariswheel

W.R. Scott was formed in 1834 in Birmingham England.
The company merged with Webley & Son to form Webley & Scott.
The W.R. Scott brand gun line was continued until 1935.
After several changes the Webley & Scott company went out of business in 1991.

W.R. Scott shotguns were very high quality.
A hammer gun was probably made prior to the 1900's, so don't shoot it as it may be unsafe to fire due to the barrels.

Values for later box-lock models can bring upward of $10,000 or more.
You will need to find an expert to evaluate your gun to determine actual condition, whether its safe to fire, and actual value.

James K

Member In Memoriam
I don't recall any W.R. Scott. The names of the Scotts in W & C Scott and Sons, the famous gun makers, were William Middleditch (yes) Scott and Charles Scott. W&C Scott and Sons was later merged with Webley to become Webley and Scott. Webley and Scott, BTW, is very much back in business, but of course can no longer make the handguns for which they became famous. They are making high quality shotguns.

W&C Scott shotguns were very high quality; they were considered in the top tier of English gunmakers. Unfortunately, makers of poor quality guns in the US and Belgium used variations of the names of English makers in a (successful) attempt to make customers believe their junk guns were the product of top English makers. Thus we had "W SCOTT", "W C SCOT", "PURTEY", "W. MOORE", and dozens of other fake names.

Jim

PetahW

Some of the cloners were even so bold as to put the exact British name on their gun, sans address or other identifiers.

The proof marks, hidden somewhere on the gun, will usually tell the true story, however.

I was looking over just such a "Jas Purdey" hammergun last week.