What is this rifle?

George Hill

Staff Alumnus
I fired an odd .308 today. Straight pull bolt. Detachable box magazine. Giant ring on the back of the bolt that rotates and acts as the safety and can cock the gun. The only marks on it was a flaming bomb ordinance symbol and the letters above it RA. Then near the action it said ".308" and that was it. Straight wood stock, metal butt-plate. I honestly have no idea what this rifle was - I have NEVER seen one before in my life. But it "felt" English to me. Like it was a Brit military weapon. The thing shot great and was pretty ccurate with it's peep-hole sights. The military style two stage trigger was it's only fault. Long take up and a heavy break with some annoying over travel.

Anyone have any idea?

Andrew Wyatt

it sounds like a schmidt-rubin in .308.

the standard rifle had the usual rear leaf sight,, but I'm sure someone must mave rechambered/barreled some in .308 and put peep sights on them.

Gewehr98

George, did that ring resemble the Schmidt-Rubin's?

It may be a rechambered S-R, the Swiss have a shortened bullpup sniper version of that gun. Take a look at the safety/cocking ring on this 1911 rifle:

schmidt.jpg

George Hill

Staff Alumnus
That is it.
This one was rechambered and "sporterized"with the fore stock cut down to about where the band is. Yeah, looks like the rear sight was affixed via a rather well skilled gunsmith.
Thanks guys.

It was a cool rifle to shoot. Kinda like a Blazer, but not as smooth. Very cool.

Gewehr98

They are indeed a kick in the pants.

Swiss K-31 Schmidt-Rubins in excellent shape are still available for a song, George. ;)

James K

Member In Memoriam
I understand there may shortly be an American source (Hornady) for American made 7.5 Swiss ammo. There is also some very accurate match ammo coming in from Switzerland and some good ammo (though not match grade) from Portugal.

There are three S-R rifles that fit that general description, the Model 1889, the Model 1911 (the one pictured) and the Model 31 (Karabiner 31 or K-31). The first two are well made and accurate, but really should be retired to collector status. The K-31 is a fine rifle.

Jim

El Rojo

The K-31 actually shoots a .308 diameter bullet. I haven't heard of them being rechambered, but that doesn't mean much. I really thought you were trying to quiz us George. I knew what you were talking about after word #9. A great rifle.

Gewehr98

1911 retirement.

Nope, won't do it. Maybe if it were a 1889 or 1896/11 variant, but the above 1911 still has a good time winning vintage rifle matches. Besides, if I retired it, what would I do with all that pretty Norma 7.5x55 brass I've hoarded over the years?:D

George Hill

Staff Alumnus
No... no quiz. I just wanted to know what it was. Like I said, I've never seen one before. Ever. I've been to many a gun show and shop, never came across one.
This one was cool. The barrel was shorter... and rechambered for .308. Shortened forend too. A Gunsmith did a very good job on the sights and had drilled and tapped for a scope mounted off the side of the receiver... but the scope was removed. Probably due to the fact it ejects straight up. A scout scope would do well on this and with its fast straight pull. would make a great scout rifle.