What is this pin/component called?

mardanlin

I have a rattle in my Keltec P11. I searched online but all related topics are about magazine rattle which I don't have. I have found the component that is rattling but I don't know what it's called to research further about it.

What is this pin called? I have 2 photos, in the second one you can see the surrounding area is open which allows it to rattle. Is this normal?

Not very loud but very annoying to hear it all day while carrying it. Pistol has only had about 50 rounds through it.

PHOTO 1: http://merkd.com/ufo/89/p11-1.jpg
PHOTO 2: http://merkd.com/ufo/89/p11-2.jpg

Ibmikey

The part is the ejector and although not under tension in most pistols of that design i never heard of one making an objectionable rattle. I guess anything is possible with a kel tec, however my truck gun (P3AT) does not seem to "rattle."

mardanlin

Thanks for the quick response. I was just wondering if maybe the tolerances were off when they made my pistol. Was unsure if the extra space surrounding it is normal. Obviously it wouldn't rattle if it couldn't move from side to side. Does it need to move side to side?

Thanks.

Skans

It's the ejector and its shouldn't be loose or rattle. On the other hand, I probably wouldn't try and fix it unless it actually breaks either. When it becomes necessary, I'd have a good gunsmith or the factory fit a new ejector. I wouldn't tackle this myself unless that was my only option.

g.willikers

Maybe the pin that holds the ejector in place is a lose fit, causing the ejector to rattle around some.
Could be caused by the hole in the slide and/or the ejector drilled too big, or a too small of a pin.
But if that's not something you could correct, then follow Skans advice.

gb6491

The ejector on my P11 rattles a little. I've replaced the ejector once before (that ejector rattled as well) and will say I doubt it's the roll pin that holds it in the frame. Let's just say there is a generous tolerance between the ejector and where it nests in the frame. A quick search of the various KT forums site will turn up quite a few comments on the rattle. You might also see some comments about the tip breaking off the ejector. That happened to mine, but I only found it after noticing the P11 wasn't kicking out brass with it's usual vigor.
Regards,
Greg