What is the value of a NIB S&W 19-1

Jayhawkhuntclub

This is a blued gun that has never been turned and has the box. I believe the barrel length is 6ish.

My dad is thinking about buying this from my uncle who had previously told him it was a 29-5 (this explains my earlier post).

Thanks!

FlyFish

The 3rd Edition of SCSW lists an ANIB 19 at $450, but the book is now 3 years old and prices for S&W revolvers, particularly ones of that vintage (about 1960) and older, have been going through the roof. I think to a collector who needed one, that gun is likely worth double that amount, perhaps more. If your dad intends to shoot it, though, it's hard to justify spending that much for a gun that's pretty generally available in very good used condition for hundreds less, and of course it would be something of a crime to shoot it now in any case.

Russ5924

They are a great revolver:) Price wise I would say what ever your Uncle wants but a good price would be $300-400:eek:

FlyFish

Easily worth $600 - but again, if your dad is primarily looking for a shooter he can find one for a good bit less.

BigJimP

Easily worth $ 600 - $700 in my area. I like the model 19's a lot / and for a good used one ( fired, but clean ) the market around here is at least $ 500 - $550 easily ( and a little more for a Nickel finish ) on 4" or 6" models.

If I was you, I would buy it.

carguychris

+1 Flyfish- IMHO a LNIB 6" 19-1 is easily worth $700, possibly quite a bit more if it has a presentation case (uncommon during this time period), "3T's" (target stocks, wide target trigger, and wide target hammer), and/or the über-rare K frame "Coke Bottle" target stocks.

18DAI

For a truly LNIB 19-1, with original box and docs, $600 is a very good price. Regards 18DAI.

Winchester_73

I think $600 is fair for the gun but because of its condition it depends on why its being purchased. I myself would put it away to maintain its preservation. If you or your dad intend on buying a shooter, its a tad expensive and this would decrease the value. Remember, to a shooter, 90% and 100% guns are really basically the same but to a collector they are totally different. If I remember correctly, the 6 in barrel model 19s are more rare than the 4 in barrels. The model 19 was made to be a smaller frame 357 and so people commonly wanted the 4 in barrel to keep it more on the compact side of things.

and/or the über-rare K frame "Coke Bottle" target stocks.

I'm pretty sure that the coke bottle grips were never on K frame guns; the model 19 being a K frame. Those grips were found on the pre 1957 44 mags and a few other N frame cousins. Don't expect to find them on a K frame, or any other non N frame.

Since its a model 19-1, its pinned and recessed. This is another reason to buy it with investment in mind. Some people disagree or don't understand this aspect of gun purchasing but when you have a mint condition 19-1, the concept should be considered.

carguychris

I'm pretty sure that the coke bottle grips were never on K frame guns; the model 19 being a K frame. Those grips were found on the pre 1957 44 mags and a few other N frame cousins. Don't expect to find them on a K frame, or any other non N frame.
Hammer It has pictures of K frame "Coke Bottle" target stocks numbered to guns made in the late 50s to early 60s. :D The SCSW, while reliable, is not 100% comprehensive and infallible.

Go here: http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=354057

Winchester_73

carguychris,

Thanks for the info. I did get my info from the SCSW. At least the grips are apparently really rare so its forgivable that I never heard of them.

Thiokol

The -1 revolvers seem to have a mystique to some collectors. I'm a moderator on the S&W Forum and, given what I've been seeing model 19s sell for recently, that gun would bring close to $1,000.00, if not more.