what is the usual return policy for used guns?

idek

When I was newer to guns, I was reluctant to buy used guns. As I became a little more knowledgeable and had a better idea of what I'm looking for, I finally bought my first used gun in the past year.

I bought it from a "trading post" (basically a pawn shop?) and I asked if there was any kind of grace period about returning the gun if it wasn't what I hoped for. The guy told me I'd have 30 days to try and could get a refund if I didn't like it. He didn't put any stipulations on it. Anyway, I liked the gun and never though of returning it.

In the last week or so, I went to a gun shop and asked what their policy was on returns. I was told that guns were guaranteed to function properly (they'd fix them if they didn't), but if I wasn't happy with accuracy or something, that they couldn't do much about that. They hesitantly said that if I brought back a gun I wasn't happy with within a week, I could return it for store credit. Had they seemed as accommodating as the other place, I would have bought the gun I was looking at. Instead, I said I'd just think about it some more and I left.

Since I haven't bought used guns much, I'm wondering what is typical policy for returning used guns.

Last edited:

5.56RifleGuy

Usually if there isn't something mechanically wrong with a gun, you are stuck with it.

That pawn shop is the first place I have ever heard of taking a gun that has been fired by the new owner back.

the rifleer

One thing I really like about big 5 is they will take guns back within 1 year. I had a remington 597 and the extractor broke. I had a gunsmith fix it, and it broke again. I took it back and they gave me my money back. I was only 14 at the time, so really it was my dad taking it back, but they did in fact give it back. Most gun shops will not give any money back unless its broken. Even then, generally you ship guns back to the manufacture for repair.

Picher

A popular trading post in Southern Maine has the policy of 30 days, no questions asked return/money back policy.

Skimp

Most gun shops in my area have a gunsmith on staff who gives a used gun a thorough check over before putting it on display. Very few gun shops have a return policy, most don't. I find gun purchase is "buyer beware" it's good to know guns before buying one used.

madcratebuilder

I give a three day non firing return on anything I sell, and I expect the same. I'm well aware that many shops do not have returns on fire arms. It's buyer beware.

jmr40

It just depends on the shop, and the type of relationship you have with the owner. If you are a regular customer most will allow you the full price you paid in trade on something else if you return within a reasonable time.

I actually far prefer to buy used at least partly because of this. Buy a new gun, find you just don't like it and you are stuck with it. Selling it will mean at least a 20-25% loss.

I've actually had more problems with new guns. Most folks don't shoot a gun enough to do much more than get them broken in and work out the bugs for you.

oneshot onekill

Of the literally hundreds of guns I've bought in my lifetime, only one was "New". That was a 5R Milspec. Everything else has been used and I've actually never even thought about a "return policy" from the seller. Whether it be a Gun Shop or Pawn Shop or whatever. I figure I better know what I'm buying or it's my bad. Sell it if I don't like it. If its defective, I fix it.

PetahW

It's a crapshoot - Most LGS' will give a 30-day warranty, but usually just have a 'smith repair it for you, with them paying the 'smith; but @ one LGS, I had to do my own repairs on the last three guns I bought there (a good reason to NEVER pay the askin').

FrankenMauser

In the last week or so, I went to a gun shop and asked what their policy was on returns. I was told that guns were guaranteed to function properly (they'd fix them if they didn't), but if I wasn't happy with accuracy or something, that they couldn't do much about that. They hesitantly said that if I brought back a gun I wasn't happy with within a week, I could return it for store credit. Had they seemed as accommodating as the other place, I would have bought the gun I was looking at. Instead, I said I'd just think about it some more and I left.

That's actually better than average. The average gun shop has a return policy of: If it leaves the store, it's your problem. You had a chance to look at it. Now, deal with it.

A good shop will listen to your concerns/complaints, and try to help you out, though (even if the official policy is "You're Hosed!").

Tuzo

Of the many firearms I bought at pawn shops only two were returned. One return was for damaged rifling that showed up after cleaning. The second was for a S&W 686 with a damaged forcing cone that caused the gun to throw copper fragments. I frequent three pawn shops and each has a 30-day return policy.

Most gun shops in my area have a gunsmith on staff who gives a used gun a thorough check over before putting it on display.
Where do you live and why do you think this? There aren't enough competent smiths in Ohio to do this even if the shops wanted to.

If there is not a mechanical problem i do not know of any LGS that will accept a return. I buy used for this reason. Hard to lose much money if you do any sort of research at all on used guns.

BlkHawk73

I kinda gotta side with the second shop with the "you buy it and it functions, you own it". It's not a buy to try thing with firearms. It's up to the buyer to know what they're buying. There's no reason the seller should have to have a revolving door for used guns just 'cause it wasn't what the buyer expected. If there's an obvious issue that was present at the time of the sale, yes I could see the shop stepping up but otherwise it's too easy for a buyer to make the purchase, use it for what's needed and then return for the $ back. Makes it more of a pawn than a purchase.

PawPaw

whippoorwill said:
Wow, I've never been to a LGS with a 30-day return policy.

Most of the shops in my area have a 30-day policy, or a 60-day policy, or a Tomorrow policy. They'll buy it back for about half what you gave for it. Caveat emptor applies in the gun business just like everywhere else. One store here kept a certain firearm that the hunters liked and that the big box store only stocked seasonally. When someone would come in to buy one, they'd tell them that the big box store would have them cheaper in a few months, and if they wanted to save a few dollars to buy it there. However, once the gun walked out the door, it was a used gun and they'd buy it back at half of the sales price.

bcrash15

I'd expect an honest shop to work with you if some serious preexisting problem showed up with the gun after you took it home, but other than that I have to concur that in my experience it's been the "out the door, your problem" in terms of shop policy. Pawn shops probably don't have as tight a profit margin overall (since they sell other stuff) and don't check the guns over as much and can afford a more "shoot and see" approach.

I didn't buy any used guns for a long time after getting one at a gun show that was great in every regard except for the headspace. But like was mentioned before, overall I have had more issues with new guns than used ones.

KnightRider

Bersa Thunder CC Slide Locks Back When Empty Automatically

Just paid and signed for a Bersa Thunder CC. But the gun won't let me rack the slide back and forth multiple times while it's empty. The slide just locks back the first time I pull it back. Is it suppose to do that? Guy at the store said it was. But I had a Sig Sauer P226 and if the gun was empty and not being fired it wouldn't lock the slide back unless I hit the lever. If it's not suppose do you think I can return it since it's never left the store? I'm still waiting the ten days. Thanks

72-cj5

The clip is supposed to lock the slide back you can pull it back and forth as much as you want if you pull the clip first

Pathfinder45

What 72-CJ5 said. The slide is supposed to lock back after the last shot is fired and it's the EMPTY clip that makes it happen. Invest the time and ammo to become intimately familiar with your new weapon.