What is the purpose of "blocks" on sighting targets?

koolken

Hold your crosshairs on the bulls eye,and if you hit the top square its where you want to set your scope to at hundred yards,one inch high or what ever it is.Most guys set their guns one to two inches high at hundred yards.I think thats what its for.

DanThaMan

Yea, that's exactly right. If you put your crosshairs on the bullseye and shoot a nice group in the square, you have your zero.

V.Hunter

Squares are often used as a more precise aiming point. You use the corner of the square as your aiming point instead of the center.

CraigC

Those in particular are done that way so that you use the round bullseye as the aiming point but zero to place your shots in or around the square. That way the bullet holes don't destroy your aiming point, i.e. more consistency.

sneaky pete

old Sneaky here: Bench Rest shooters use those targets cuz mostly they shoot for groups not score and as Craig C said above you won't be shooting out your point of reference--the round bull. THANX--SNEAKY :)

Logjam

Note how much easier it is to see the block target. The circular target is used to sight in your rifle. Then for group you shoot into the block, because it's so much easier to see.

It is also true that most people sight in their rifle to shoot one inch high at 100 yards, as with most/many rifles this will give you an absolute zero at 200 yards and you'll shoot about three inches to six inches low/maybe more; at 300.

Most of the WWII and WWI military rifles were set up to have a "battle sight zero" at 400 yards. That meant that if you shot at an enemy soldier at that range and aimed at his chest you'd hit him in the chest 400 yds. Any of you who shoot your WWII K98K will note that they shoot about six inches high at 100 yds.

The ticket was to shoot at a man's knees at 100 yds, and at his head at 600. The goal was to hit him at center mass. However, you always shot at the man. You didn't hold over or under to the point that you were aiming other than at hair.

DaveInPA

I'm gonna have to print that target out. I like the idea of not destroying my aiming point for precision shooting!

jhciv

Hello

Lurker who finally registered, these seem like pretty civil forums.

I shoot centerfire benchrest in NBRSA matches and our targets do have the square on them.

Very few shooters I compete with will print their groups in the square athough it is legal to do so.

I was taught the square is for trying to get a handle on shooting in mirage conditions. Since many of us use 36x or higher powered scopes mirage can be a real problem. (I use a 45x)

On days with heavy mirage, the square can be used to try and get a more consistent poa than the mothball.

Since you all like pics, here is my set up. It is a viper drop-port with a jewell trigger (1.5 oz.), currently a krieger 13.5 twist barrel (chambered for 6mm PPC) and a luepold comp. 45x.. At a 100 yards an decent group of 5 can be covered with an aspirin, at 200 yards a dime.

908023.jpg

Take care