What Is the Proper Grip?

Incursion

I was at the range the other day and 3 range officers told me to grip the gun the same way. I'm new to shooting, so the only stuff I know is what I've read off message boards and websites. I've been trying to emulate the grip shown in the Rainbow Six promotional picture on the hkpro site (http://www.hkpro.com/r6usp.htm right thumb bent downwards with left thumb hooked over it). The RO's told me to put my right thumb as far up as possible keeping it parallel with the slide right below the cocking serrations of my P7. They also told me to put my right thumb right on top of the curvature behind the left thumb, and to put the left thumb against the bottom of the frame below the slide and above the trigger guard. They also told me to rotate my left hand counterclockwise to keep the mini beaver tail pressed down against my right hand. This grip does not feel very comfortable to me, but I don't know what I should believe.

SigmundSauer

Putting words into images, it sounds as though they have you pointed in the right direction. If possible, keep your thumbs pointed straight along the slide towards the muzzle. Just don't inadvertently ride the slide stop.

More importantly -- experiment and do what best allows you to hit the target!

SS

DAKODAKID

??????

I shoot my HK USP the same way the rainbow 6 pix shows.

I thought I went over this on the HKPRO
board but it seems to be deleted.......

ouch..

I went over this in much detail, and now
it's gone....

Anyway, a good source for shooting a handgun will
always be....

http://www.bullseyepistol.com

I am starting to understand why Larry at ccfa
is not posting over there....
ouch...

This is to add to what you have already been told...

What I have found is that good grip is somewhat subjective and very individualistic. More than one person has shown me proper grip and every time they have done so, my hands were not actually comfortable on the gun. A little rotation around the grip one way or the other will look about the same, but really change the feel of the gun in the hand. This is further affected by hand size issues such as length and thickness. It is not so much all that important that your grip looks right as it is that your grip feels right to you. Another person can tell you it looks right, but only you can decide if it feels right.

Another issue I rarely see addressed is the amount of grip pressure that is supposed to be applied. Usually what I hear is that you are supposed to hold the gun securely. Securely is very vague. A gun held securely when the gun isn't being fired may not be secure enough when the gun is being fired. If the gun jump in your hands or caused your grip to change when the gun is fired, you aren't holding it secure enough.

Incursion

Over at bullseye pistol, it says to grip the gun as hard as you can until you begin to tremble. One you begin to tremble, release pressure until it doesn't tremble anymore.