What is the opinion on Kalashnikov Komrad 12 ga

Viper99

Hello all,
Very limited shotgun experience and wanted your opinions on this one which I fancy. Is it at over 1000 a good buy or are they better options in semi automatic, magazine fed shotguns?

To be used as home defense mostly and target.

Regards

stinkeypete

This will completely depend on how much you like it.
At $1000, it’s probably the most valuable thing worth robbing in your home.
It’s not going to hold value like a nice $1000 hunting shotgun or even a $500 pump action Mossberg.
If you think you need more than 5 12 ga. shells to defend your home, or you just want that shotgun, go for it. Given that Gunbroker has them new for $4,000 you may consider the used one a “good deal.” It’s an extreme niche firearm.

Consider that a $4,000 double barrel or over and under might sell used for … well, wait a decade you may double your money when you sell.

In my opinion, an all-around pump shotgun is a used Remington 870 Wingmaster, Ithaca Model 37, Mossberg model 500, or Winchester model 12. There is a good chance you can sell it next year for what you paid for it if you sell before hunting season.

If you want a semi-auto… look at the Beretta a300, Franci Affinity,
Retay, but I personally put my money into a Fabarms L4s Initial Hunter. I expect you can sell all of these for what you pay for them in 5 years.

In my option, the more it looks like something on a video or video game, the more “tactical” stuff hanging on it, the less value it has unless you are actually a competitive shooter in this style of shotgun.

Last edited:

Rob228

Given that Gunbroker has them new for $4,000 you may consider the used one a “good deal.” It’s an extreme niche firearm.

Might be looking at two different things, I'm seeing them at right around 1300 on GB.

https://kalashnikov-usa.com/product/komrad-12ga-firearm/

I've got no experience with one but I am fairly opposed to hanging a magazine off of a shotgun, you lose the paintability and maneuverability. I put +2 tubes on a pair of 870s more for want of a project than anything else and in retrospect I liked the way they handled a lot better without them. Can't imagine having ten rounds hanging off of it, its like all the cons of a shotgun combined with all the cons of a carbine all wrapped up in one package. But that's just my opinion and there is absolutely nothing wrong with buying a gun you want at a price you can afford because you want it.

Viper99

Its 1350 around my way. Magazine is not that important but I would like it to be semiautomatic and hold at least 8 rounds.

Skarekrow88

I was also considering a Komrad after my dad bought a KS-12T, great gun but his was around $800-900. I’m glad I waited because I ended up getting a Lynx 12 for a fraction of the price when they went on sale for $299 at PSA and I regret nothing. The Komrad is simply not worth what they are wanting for them if you ask me.

Drm50

Well, if I wanted dependable 8 shot semi shotgun it would be a Rem1100 with magazine extension. I’m not a fan of Rem 1100 but I sold a ton of them in 70s & 80s. Very dependable and trouble free gun. It was #2 in sales right behind Rem 870. Both seen in Ohio Deer woods with magazine extensions. Then State party poopers came along and restricted deer gun to 3 shots. You can find a nice Rem 1100 with smooth bore slug barrel at $500 around this area. New hunters aren’t buying slug guns since rifle has become legal.
Personally I use A5 LW Brownings, I never did a mag extension because of recoiling barrel.
No support for tube like fixed barrels. Both Brn A5 and Rem 1100s are easy to come by and nice ones for $500.