What is the one must have antique?

I'm looking for some really old wheel gun that is neat to have, shoots something that I can still buy, and won't break my pocket...what do you guys think?

Powderman

My first choice would be a Smith and Wesson Model 1917, in .45 ACP; or maybe a Colt New Service, also in .45 ACP.

My next would be a minty Model 10, hopefully a five screw.

Powderman

Remember--the Model 10 is in .38 Special. Both the others were chambered in .45 ACP; the New Service could be had in .45 Colt, too.

deadin

Depends on your definition of "antique" The official definition is:

(A) any firearm (including any firearm
with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion
cap, or similar type of ignition
system) manufactured in or before
1898; or
(B) any replica of any firearm described
in subparagraph (A) if such
replica—
(i) is not designed or redesigned
for using rimfire or conventional
centerfire fixed ammunition, or
(ii) uses rimfire or conventional
centerfire fixed ammunition which
is no longer manufactured in the
United States and which is not
readily available in the ordinary
channels of commercial trade; or
(C) any muzzle loading rifle, muzzle
loading shotgun, or muzzle loading
pistol, which is designed to use
black powder, or a black powder
substitute, and which cannot use
fixed ammunition. For purposes of
this subparagraph, the term "antique
firearm" shall not include any weapon
which incorporates a firearm frame or
receiver, any firearm which is converted
into a muzzle loading weapon,
or any muzzle loading weapon which
can be readily converted to fire fixed
ammunition by replacing the barrel,
bolt, breechblock, or any combination
thereof.

Is this what you have in mind?

Dean

XavierBreath

If you are just wanting a gun to give the Grandpa's gun feeling, instead of a technically legal antique, then here are my recommendations;

S&W K-22 Prices range from $350 or so for a shooter Model 17 to near $1000 for a mint 5 screw K-22 Outdoorsman. The benefit is the price will never go down. If you sell it, you will get your money back as long as you buy wisely. Meanwhile you are shooting an awful lot for cheap.

S&W M&P Model of 1905 4th Change These can be found from $125 on up to $600 or so, depending on the condition, barrel length and the remaining finish. Obviously, make sure it's a .38 Special. The Brit Victory Models were .38S&W, and very poor conversions were done on them when they came back. Avoid those. You can recognize them by the British proofs.

Colt Army Special These can still be found for $250 and up. Make sure it's a .38 Special model.

Colt Police Positive These start around $200 or so. Again, make sure it's .38 Special.

Be sure to do Jim March's Revolver Checkout before you buy.

Sir William

I suggest the ultimate 38 Special, the S&W 38-44 or a later Outdoorsman. Pre-war craftsmanship, 38 Special, N frame and mystique of the old days and old ways.

model 25

I am a big fan of older 22lr revolvers. I love my Colt Diamondback with it's classic lines and perfect fit. It has the greatest grip in that you can find something else that fits its small size if you need to. The high cost is out weighed by the cheap ammo and you can buy KHS speed loaders for it when you want to hunt wabits.

Fit and finnish of the Diamondbacks is second to none and you won't find a new gun built as well.

Webleymkv

S&W Model 27 3 1/2" barrel- the most beautiful wheelgun ever made.
One of those old Iver Johnson top break .22's would be nice too.