What is the most important modern handgun?

kamerer

I'm curious as to what people think is the most important handgun of the modern era? Let's say anything from the Colt SAA/S&W Schofield era forward?

I would say let's set the criteria on such things as:

1) Important engineering advancement that changed everything that followed
2) Wide popularity and acceptance
3) Similar criteria of your choice

A "brilliant design" that wasn't widely received or copied doesn't count - has to have "left a mark" on firearms history and development.

I don't have an opinion here as to which is most important; I'm genuinely curious what people think makes one of these or another gun the most important. If you can think of something I didn't put in the list, add it and explain why.

Here are nine I can think of:

1) S&W Model #3
2) Colt SAA
3) S&W Military & Police
4) 1911
5) Browning High Power
6) Walther P-38
7) S&W 59- first Wondernine
8) HK VP -70 - first polymer Wondernine
9) Glock 17 - popular Wondernine

Last edited:

snail

The Glock 17 meets all those requirements.
1) it introduced the polymer frame to everyone
2) Just look in your local Police officer's holster.
I can't vote the VP 70, because it wasn't popular or widely accepted

shurshot

1911. Nothing else is even close, IMHO.

John Browning changed the world forever when he came out w/this design.

Technosavant

It would likely be the 1911, due to the tilting breech design. The only other one that might be worthwhile to consider would be the Glock 17, popularizing the polymer frame and the safe action trigger system.

Of the two, I think the 1911 might be more influential, but the Glock is a very close second.

B.N.Real

Modern-design.

The Glock-hands down.

Changed the face of handgun AND long gun design forever.

It's total success out of the blue made the entire firearms industry take a good hard look at all the goods they were making and say,"If someone who has never made a gun can do that,what can we do."

Honestly,the Glock embarrased the heck out of everyone who designed semi-auto firearms and it kind of still does.

Job Well Done,Gaston Glock.

;) kamerer,you -did- know this would turn out to be a Glock love fest thread did'nt you. ;)

JollyRoger

Broomhandle Mauser because it was one of, if not the first commercially successful widely accepted auto pistol.

Whatever Colt it was in the late 1800's that first popularized the swing-out cylinder of the modern revolver.

1911 for the tilt-barrel locking breach.

Walther PP for the DA auto design and firing-pin block safety.

I think Walther again for the aluminum frame on an auto: wasn't it a P-38 variant? as well as the "other" major delayed blowback system (locking block).

S&W .357 Magnum for introducing the magnum era in the 30's.

Glock 17 for popularizing the polymer frame and the (non-compressed spring) striker-fired auto action.

S&W again for intro of titanium and scandium frame revolvers.

PSP

Colt 1911
Walther PP
Glock 17

Yes, mostly...

We probably all will agree on the 1911 being important.

Walther's SA/DA action and competent reliability brought a new realm of safety and reliability.

I'd change this to HK/ Glock as both companies have much to do with ushering in the Plastic Age.

Ghost19

modern handgun

With all due respect to the 1911 design the Glock must be the gun of what is now a new era which was started with the introduction of the first Glock.

Technosavant

I think Ghost 19 said what I was trying to say. While is you consider the "modern era" from the early part of the century, then it's the 1911, since even Glock uses the same Browning-sourced design for locking the breech. However, the Glock safe action system inducted a new era in and of itself, combining a "safe action" trigger system with a polymer frame.

Sparky33

Well I'm torn between the 1911 and the Glock. While the Glock put polymer guns on the map and gave peace officers a trusty firearm with the advantage of a higher round capacity. But the genius of the 1911 design was a big break-through in handguns. So I'll give half a vote to each :D

Glenn E. Meyer

I'd say:

1. The 1911 that introduced Browning's insights into semis.
2. The 9mm Luger that introduced the 9mm round into the pistol world
3. The Glock 17 for the modern era of polymer, striker guns
4. The Phaser (wait, that's when I log on the TFL in 2598 AD.

kamerer

kamerer,you -did- know this would turn out to be a Glock love fest thread did'nt you.

Heh, heh, No, I did not! I'm not Glock-savvy (never even fired one). And that's why I ask, as I don't want to be ignorant. This thread did go spur me to read about the glock action and virtues, and I must say they are quite impressive. I do want to try one very much now. Don't like the looks, but gosh they sound impressive.

My fault is that I got a history degree, so to me, "Modern" in handguns means metallic cartridges, not "latest thing" - so that's why anything from a S&W #3 forward was pretty much a fair candidate.

I think people have overlooked the S&W Hand Ejector M&P - sales approaching 5 million units over almost 110 years, and every product after it copying it's design - a solid frame window and swing-out revolving cylinder - that's pretty good. If you open the insides of S&W revolver from WWI and lay it next to a recently made one, they are almost identical. It also was the platform that introduced the .38 Special, the most popular US cartridge I imagine Glock could do similar going forward and we give it another few decades - doesn't seem like a "better moustrap" is waiting in the wings compared to a Glock from what I can read.

I am also a huge 1911 fan, so I'm not ignoring that. Seems like every important semi-auto handgun has copied the tilt breech since then. And the ergonomics were near perfect, I think. And the cartridge has been widely adopted into so many other platforms.

So, In summary, what I've learned from this thread is

1) there's no major handgun I didn't mention a number of people thought was hugely important

2) Glock's are superior products in the eyes of many and I should learn more

3) 1911s are still as widely loved as I think

4) Autos really are what people thing about and revolvers don't get as much love (I'm not sure what recent sales statistics are, revolvers vs. autos)

Thanks everyone.

garyhan

The model 1911, which I love.
The Glock, which I don't.
The S&W K frames, which I believe date to 1899. (like them too)

gary