What is the most accurate 9mm ammo?

44 AMP

Staff
I'm looking for opinions and experience about what brand & load of 9mm Luger ammunition is the most accurate.

I'm not interested in the defensive use and ability, what I'm looking for is what ammo & load have you found to be the most accurate, overall, in your gun, or in several guns. Target loads are ok.

what commercial ammo have you found that shoots the smallest groups??

The point of the exercise is that a friend has acquired a new Sig P-210, a design with the reputation of being among, if not the most accurate semi auto 9mm there is. So, we're looking for recommendations for the best (most accurate) ammo to use for testing it.

In addition, we hope to compare the P-210's accuracy against the most accurate 9mm handgun I have, which is the decidedly non-service pistol class T/C Contender.

Again, the only object here is to see what size groups the guns are capable of, (and in human hands, not a machine rest) and we wish for a good, accurate factory load to use to "level the playing field" as far as ammo is concerned.

So, share, if you will, who's ammo, and loading you have found to be the most accurate 9mm Luger you have used, or know of..

marine6680

I have never noticed any difference between brands of quality ammo...

Don't really see much difference with cheap FMJ either, but maybe you would at 25yds.

Rob228

I'd think Federal, but honestly when it comes to 9mm if I'm not buying carry ammo I buy whatever the cheapest brass-cased ammo is.

Brit

The Sig 210 I was lent, just joined a Gun Club, in the UK, when I was 18 YOA 1953.

The owner was a retired Army Officer. All I had fired a lot, prior to this pistol, Webley Air Pistols. The range was twenty yards long. The group I shot, incredible. Little brown box 64 rounds in the box. Sten Gun Ammo. That bullseye target hung around for a long time.

I think Winchester 147g Ranger T is incredibly accurate. Try it.

Black Wolf

I've been paying a lot more attention to accuracy, lately. I'm really trying to dial my game in and I want to make sure I can NOT out shoot my equipment, otherwise, I can not improve.

This is going to sound insane, but - I found Tula to be more accurate than Federal. Who'd have thunk it.

Now I pretty much just shoot my own loads, which I lined up against MagTech with better results, so I can not tell you anything other than (for me) Tula > Federal.

cptjack

had an old friend who was a wwII Corsair pilot and still carried his 45 ,told me the secret was the barrel ,he would have the armorer change the barrel till was accurate to his satisfaction,, so accuracy has to do with the firearm

Black Wolf

had an old friend who was a wwII Corsair pilot and still carried his 45 ,told me the secret was the barrel ,he would have the armorer change the barrel till was accurate to his satisfaction,, so accuracy has to do with the firearm
There's truth to that, but it is not the only factor. Really you have: Gun (bbl is a big part of that), Ammo, Shooter. These are the three variable in accuracy. From what I've seen (from myself as well as others) SHOOTER seems to be the weakest link in accuracy. Putting a gun in a Ransom Rest tells a lot about the gun or ammo that folks call inaccurate.

bbqncigars

I would personally rate trigger over barrel. My new P-210A really likes the 115gr JHP HP-38 handloads, but I won't have the opportunity to try out some factory rounds until the weather improves.

74A95

Here you go:

http://www.shootingtimes.com/ammo/how-accurate-is-9mm-luger-match-ammo/

Atlanta Arms 115 grain JHP and FMJ ammo did very well in that article. The most accurate was Browning 147 FMJ ammo, with a 10-shot average of 1.38". Pretty good for off-the-shelf ammo. Another brand to look at is Wilson Combat. They have 115 and 125 grain Match ammo with an accuracy guarantee that also performs very well.

https://shopwilsoncombat.com/9mm-Co...PS-4-Barrel-100_Box/productinfo/A9-115-HAP-C/
https://shopwilsoncombat.com/9mm-Bi...-FPS-5-Barrel-100_Box/productinfo/A9-125-HAP/

tallball

I feel that it's the combination of gun and ammo. Some guns like Brand X better, some guns like Brand Y better.

WVsig

There is no round that will universally be more accurate in every single gun. Even within the same model of gun, for example the P210, one gun might be more accurate with one round over another.

If you want to eek out every bit of accuracy from a particular gun the only way to do it is to reload ammo for that particular gun. You will have to experiment with bullet types and bullet weights. You will built the round to work best in that gun based on the chamber the length to the lands and the grooves. Its twist etc...

If you are talking strictly commercial ammo then it is trial and error and just because brand X is the most accurate today does not mean it will stay that way. Ammo manufacturers change stuff all the time based on market and availability or powders, primer types etc...

44 AMP

Staff
Thanks for the replies, keep 'em coming!

I'm pretty well grounded in the differences between different guns and their preferences, as well as handloading for accuracy, and the variables of human vs machine rest.

What I'm looking for is general, like "brand A's 115gr never seems to do better than 3" for me, but their 147gr does 2" in my guns, Brand X's 124 does 2-3" in my guns but their 115 only manages 5" patterns...."

things like that. And, "I just shoot what's cheapest, they all seem about the same to me" is a valid answer as well. Like wise "white box generic does well in 3 of my guns and shoots like crap in #4".

All answers are helpful, some are more useful than others. :)

We will be testing a variety of things, I'm just looking for general trends and if you know of anything that generally out performs the rest by a little, or a lot, if such a thing exists, to use as a baseline for comparisons.

sigarms228

For my self I would have to say Federal American Eagle 124 and 147 as far as reasonably priced range ammo. There is a great review of the American P210-A on SIGforum by a member there and he had excellent results with American Eagle 124 in his P210-A. I will see if I can find the link.

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/4320043434

I have never tried it myself but remember reading threads where those looking for about the best accuracy you can get from manufactured ammo were mentioning Atlanta Arms ammo.

https://atlantaarms.com/

Again I have no experience with it but remember being impressed with seeing Black Hills Ammo often having best groups for a pistol when tested for accuracy from a bench or rest with a variety of ammo. Midway has some of their 9MM offerings of box of 20 in stock.

http://www.black-hills.com/

https://www.midwayusa.com/s?targetL...1&userItemsPerPage=48&persistedItemsPerPage=0

Last edited:

WVsig

For factory ammo I like Swiss Greco 124 gr. It is very consistent and well made. Shoots nice groups in Sigs, CZs, 1911s & Glocks.

Mem is high quality NATO ball. Outstanding German quality. https://www.sgammo.com/product/surp...ato-124-grain-fmj-ammo-made-men-germany-men9b

ek%203-15-16%20001_0.JPG

For me what separates avg plinking ammo and good target ammo is consistency lot to lot. You just don't get that with WWB, Blazer etc.. but then again I don't shoot for tiny groups very often so take my info with a grain of salt.

gnystrom

After 55 years of shooting I have come to the conclusion,

the accuracy of the ammo is directly proportional to the skill of the trigger puller.

JDBerg

gnystrom: said:
the accuracy of the ammo is directly proportional to the skill of the trigger puller.

Yep! The Indian not the bow & arrow, the whole bit! Federal American Eagle 124 grain FMJ’s put nice tight groups on targets when I do my part!

WVsig

Yep! The Indian not the bow & arrow, the whole bit! Federal American Eagle 124 grain FMJ’s put nice tight groups on targets when I do my part!

gnystrom said:
After 55 years of shooting I have come to the conclusion,

This is so true. I do not own a gun that I can out shoot. I do not believe that I out shoot the ammo either. It does not matter if it is my reloads or Tula.

To the OP the "NEW" P210 is really just a 210 in name and look. Most of the things that made the P210 made in Switzerland and even later in Germany is not what you are shooting today if you are buying a SIG P210-A. Either way I really doubt that the ammo or the gun will be the weakest link in the chain.

74A95

gnystrom After 55 years of shooting I have come to the conclusion, the accuracy of the ammo is directly proportional to the skill of the trigger puller.

Ransom Rest results tell a different story. There can be a huge difference in accuracy between different loads.