What is the difference?

MikeNice81

What is the difference between Silver Bear and Brown Bear ammunition? I have seen them being sold side by side. Usually the Silver Bear is $1.00 to $1.50 more per box. Is Silver Bear an improved version of Brown Bear?

Cheapshooter

Silver Bear is zinc plated.

This ammo has a unique zinc plated steel case, which gives you all the characteristics of nickel plated brass, at a fraction of the cost. Since this ammo is Zinc plated, it functions much smoother than any other steel cased ammo,

Quote from Silver Bear add.

Paul105

Brown Bear:

Features a lead core full bi-metal jacketed bullet, lacquer coated steel case, and non-corrosive berdan primer.

Silver Bear:

Features a lead core Hollow point bi-metal jacketed bullet, zinc plated steel case, and non-corrosive berdan primer.

Only difference I can see is the Brown Bear case is lacquer coated steel, while the Silver Bear case is zinc plated steel.

You can look at pictures of both here:

http://www.aimsurplus.com/catalog.aspx?groupid=46

Shadi Khalil

What they have in common is they will both most likely get you kicked out of your indoor range...I sneak them in every now and then.

mrgoodwrench76

The ONLY difference in the two is the case. The powder, primer, projectile, all the same.

Why would this get you kicked out of an indoor range? Not that I doubt you, I just have no experience of this personally. Im lucky enough to live where I have ample places to shoot on my own property and have never been to an indoor range. Forgive my ignorance on the matter.

8shot357

Why would this get you kicked out of an indoor range? Not that I doubt you, I just have no experience of this personally. Im lucky enough to live where I have ample places to shoot on my own property and have never been to an indoor range. Forgive my ignorance on the matter.

I think he's speaking of "steel" core bullets that can spark on the back drop causing a fire, maybe.

But I also could be ignorant.

I had a steel core bullet peel off and embed the outer layer into my chest of a ricochet. No biggi, it was just a flesh wound (Just like Teddy), and I pulled it out and said "Cool!" They didn't let him shoot any more of those.

That's just one story.:rolleyes:

Shadi Khalil

Most ranges only let you shoot what they can reload.

8shot357

So do indoor ranges not let you keep your brass?

I don't see any reason you shouldn't be able keep your own brass, you paid for!

My range let's you keep your brass, I'm not sure if they let you keep other peoples brass though, each range will be different.

Samuel2011

A great number of people don't reload and leave behind the empty brass.
The range personell scoops this stuff up and all they have to do is sift the .22 out and then just sort the rest by caliber.

If you bring steel cased ammo in to the range, you are causing these people to work a little more. Cause now they would have to pick out all of the steel cased stuff. If this person is paid by the hour, you are costing the range more money.

At one time when Chinese ammo was arround as well as Russian, most of it was surpluss and steel core. Those days are for the most part gone, but ranges still use that as an excuse to not let you shoot the russian stuff. For the most part the current crop of Russian ammo is comercial grade stuff with out the steel core and meant for U.S. consumption.