what is the difference between jen 1-4 night vision?

Chris Phelps

It appears to me that the IR light I mistakenly thought was the only light source (such as found on camcorders) is actually a backup light used in total darkness when there is no ambient light to be gathered. It seems that the NV will function as either, but the higher end scopes have the IR as backup.

fisherman66

I would imagine that the Gen III and IV would provide more than enough light amplification to work in the field without IR. The lower end products would need the extra IR. In synopsis, I disagree with the statement...

higher end scopes have the IR as backup.

The cheaper Gen I and Gen II seem to come with IR illuminators. Prices fall each time a better model comes out. I plan on waiting a couple more years before I buy; and the thermal (heat) ones my be better for my application (varminting), but a Gen III would suit me fine from what I have read. I don't want to need an IR illuminator as some animals can see that spectrum.

FirstFreedom

Yes, they all work fine as night vision scopes. Gen 1 is fine/good for short distances (under 50 yards). For making out things farther away, Gen 2 or 3 are better & better.