What is the deal with not wanting to pull the trigger during takedown?

Jayhawkhuntclub

I keep hearing about how certain guns don't require you to pull the trigger to remove the slide and how this is a great feature. I don't get it. If you are so stupid as to not check the chamber before you take it apart you shouldn't be handling guns in the first place. I know mistakes happen, but seriously.:eek:

+1k ammo

I know logic just does not seem to be the absolute truth when dealing with humans.

How many people would still be alive if there were some type of very visible way to double check. (ok, say all guns were made with clear plastic and you could actually see the bullet in the chamber)

I don't know the stats, but there would be a lot.

And no one has ever pressed the gas when looking for the brake in a car and ended up running people over!

People make mistakes and the things we design (I am a designer) should rule out the possibility of making the mistake. That is good design.

I was brought up around guns so it is second nature, but people who have not just forget sometimes.

greyeyezz

pancake_bunny_zpsacd807d2.jpg

Fishbed77

All troll alerts aside, the answer is:

Rule 3.

http://thefiringline.com/Misc/safetyrules.html

If you are so stupid as to not check the chamber before you take it apart you shouldn't be handling guns in the first place.

Maybe, maybe not. Last year, a man died at a local indoor range when disassembling a Glock pistol after failing to check the chamber.

http://www.thestate.com/2012/12/01/2538525/columbia-man-killed-in-shooting.html

He was not "stupid." He was a father of several childeren and a friend of my wife's boss. Why he failed to properly check the firearm, we'll never know. Was he careless? Was he distracted? Did his eyesight fail him? All we know is that humans are fallible and there was a failure to follow Rules 1, 2, and 3. Perhaps he would have survived if he only broke the first 2 Rules, but there is no doubt that a failure to follow Rule 3 is what killed him. Of course, some firearm designs require that Rule 3 be broken for disassembly.

This is not to say that these designs are inherently "less-safe" than others (the last thing I would ever propose are additional politician/lawyer-mandated "safety features"). But an adherence to the 4 Rules becomes even more critical when operating them.

whippoorwill

Well... if one were discussing a rimfire, then one might prefer not to have to pull the trigger to disassemble. But, I'm sure that for most, it's just one less thing that might allow a round to be fired unintentionally.

BTW... what's the significance of the bunny with the pancake hat? I don't get it... unless that's the new symbol for the International House of Pancakes... IHOP.

dayman

I've never had a problem with it. I always check the chamber - drop the mag then rack the slide a couple times as a matter of course. And, even still, I keep the gun pointed in a safe direction when I pull the trigger.
If not stupidity, anyone who manages to shoot themselves while field stripping a gun is certainly guilty of complacency. No matter how much experience you have with guns, you still need to remember that they have the potential to be very dangerous, and treat them like they might be loaded every time you pick one up.

Technosavant

It is that it is one potential place for things to go horribly wrong. Sure, checking the chamber first renders the act to be rather less problem, but it is still a potential problem area. If you get distracted, forget to check, or anything like that, people can be injured or killed. Even the most responsible person can have a bad moment.

I have one gun with that kind of design... I am always EXTREMELY careful when taking it down for cleaning. But the fact remains that it is a trigger pull that is NOT intended to fire a round. That by itself dangerous for the reasons mentioned. Not a danger that cannot be managed, but more dangerous than a design that does not require it.

I would not advise someone against such a design for that reason, but I would advise that the buyer be very aware of it.

ShamrockArmory

"I have no idea what you are talking about, soo...... Here is a bunny with a pancake on it's head."

It's a common way for people on forums to say that they don't see the point of the OP. lol

Bart Noir

I am one of those people who think that the "you gotta pull the trigger" method of field-stripping, is less than optimum.

As stated above, if nobody makes a mistake then all is well. But people do make mistakes. If they are trained to remove magazine and then operate the slide and check the chamber, to fully unload, then once in a while somebody does those two steps in the wrong order.

If that was a loaded magazine, then a gun which visually showed itself to be 'chamber empty' ends up loaded.

And the next step is the trigger-pull. With the accompanying loud sound. Possible with a tragic loud screaming sound.

So I don't like that design. And I praise the XDm design where the slide just comes off the frame without any need to de-cock the striker by any method.

Bart Noir

tipoc

This is very important! i like the bunny and the Andrews Sisters!

alufoilcat.jpg

The Glock has been around near 30 years. It's an old design.

tipoc

labhound

Drop the mag, rack the slide, pull the trigger. Sometimes people get it mixed up and rack the slide, drop the mag, pull the trigger, BANG! Stuff happens and not always to someone else.

dayman

A lot of the polymer striker guns; Glocks, XD's (with the exception - I think - of the XDm), and the Walther PPQ. As to others I can't say, but I think it's a fairly normal feature for striker guns.

TunnelRat

Does it make me cringe? No, but I handle firearms daily and one ND a few years back taught me a hard lesson. But if I can have a firearm that doesn't require me to pull the trigger for no added cost and I enjoy shooting it as much as one that does require me to pull the trigger, I see no reason why not.

Technosavant

Pardon my ignorance - Which pistols require you to pull the trigger in order to field strip?

It's part of many striker fired designs, namely the Glock and S&W Sigma (which is mostly a copy of the Glock). Reason being, the striker is partially cocked by the motion of the slide. Pulling the trigger allows the striker to be completely uncocked, allowing takedown.

The S&W M&P has a little lever inside that allows the user to move the striker off the sear to avoid having to pull the trigger. Since you have to retract the slide to get to the lever, it forces a person to check the chamber and even stick your finger in there.

Gaerek

I'm kind of with the OP here. Check the damn chamber. I check the chamber every single time I handle my gun, even if I "know" it's unloaded (or loaded) If you don't, well, at least there's the other firearm handling rules to follow before take down. If you (or someone else) are shot disassembling your Glock, it's not just one rule you broke, it's a bunch.

Ok, so taking the firearm down required you to pull the trigger. So, by necessity you have to break rule #3. But, what about #1? That one was broken, since you didn't chamber check. What about rule #2? Why was the muzzle in a direction that isn't safe...ESPECIALLY WHEN PULLING THE TRIGGER ON A GUN!!!!

I feel bad for the guy in the story above, but he was extremely negligent. It was not the fault of the gun. It was the operator...plain and simple. According to some people posting here, we shouldn't do dry fire practice in our homes because it required us to pull the trigger. Yet every expert shooter out there says that dry fire is needed to build up and work on skills.

There are almost zero cases of a true accidental discharge. Nearly every single one can be boiled down to gross negligence of the operator, regardless of gun design.