What is the deal with 45 GAP

jrklaus

I'm afraid I'm going to want to see this particular cartridge last for a while (popularity-wise) before I purchase something chambered in it. I think the concept is sound, but I'm not certain it is sufficiently different from the .45 ACP for it to be a commercial success. :confused:

Bud Helms

Actually it does answer a question for some. Very small-handed people that otherwise would choose the .45 ACP in a double stack grip simply can't find comfort and good grip tension with large circumference (for them) grips. Supposedly the GAP brings the circumference down to just small enough for a lot of small handed folks to manage. A friend of mine has smaller hands than mine and that's saying something. He got the Springfield XD in .45 GAP and loves it. He had been wanting a higher capacity .45 for years, but his hands simply could not handle the size.

Anyway, I'm not sure of the purpose of waiting to see if it's a commercial success. If you like it, get one. I would handload anyway. It is an attractive idea and I'd like to try one out. I'm all for a more efficient cartridge, but I haven't read any reloading tables yet. I'm betting you can get a fuller case and that makes it more difficult to double charge. Those are good things. :D

jrklaus

"Anyway, I'm not sure of the purpose of waiting to see if it's a commercial success. If you like it, get one. I would handload anyway. It is an attractive idea and I'd like to try one out. I'm all for a more efficient cartridge, but I haven't read any reloading tables yet. I'm betting you can get a fuller case and that makes it more difficult to double charge. Those are good things."--Bud Helms

I can't disagree, but I would be concerned that if it is not a commercial success, components for handloading might eventually disappear. Of course, that becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy if no one buys them....

JohnKSa

Administrator
The only unique reloading component is the case. I suspect they'll be available for a very long time.

gmarr

I'm a LEO in Miami, FL. My Department issues Glock 22C's and allows officers to buy .45 caliber Glocks to carry. I tried the G21 and although it's a very good shooter, it just didn't fit my hands.

When the G37 (GAP) came out, so did my checkbook. Several of my officers and I tested the GAP with both the .40 and the .45 ACP. In all weights we tested, 185, 200, and the 230 grain, the GAP equalled the performance of the ACP. In the 200 grain load it actually performed better. Higher velocity and bigger wound channel.

Is it better than the ACP? No. What it does is give you ACP performance in a smaller frame. More people (officers) can handle the G37 frame better than the G21 frame. Several agencies are testing and starting to issue the GAP just for that reason.

I think it's worth the effort. Hopefully it'll finally start to catch on more.

Mini14

.45 GAP will shoot in a 625 revolver, w/full moon clips. I'd love to see the following guns in .45 GAP:

1. Webley 9 shot DAO w/fixed sights, moon clip mandatory.
2. Mauser c96 with fixed sights and both stripper clip- and detachable box magazine-feeding.
3. Beretta 38-44 in .45 GAP, greasegun style folding stock.
4. M3A1 greasegun w/akm-style muzzle comp.

badbob

Other than length, is the GAP case any different than the ACP case? Could one not simply trim ACP brass to GAP lengths?

I believe the .45 GAP case is stronger internally to handle the additional pressure.

badbob

mvpel

Nope - the GAP uses smaller primers, the extractor groove is sharper, leading to a thicker web, and an overall stronger case, with the same max pressure (23k) as the +P ACP but in 20% less case capacity.

badbob

Trimming a .45 ACP case to make a short cased 45GAP is a bad idea for a number of reasons. Most ACP brass uses a large primer which would over ignite the powder in a cut down ACP case causing severe high pressures. And since the GAP case has a very different internal taper, trimmed ACP brass would bulge since the bullets are seated significantly lower than in a regular sized ACP case.
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/petej/45gap.defend.htm
http://www.answers.com/topic/45-gap

badbob

BillCA

Not only does it permit people with smaller hands to use a hi-cap .45 pistol, but I suspect that it'll allow manufacturers to put .45 caliber rounds into a smaller, single-stack CCW gun too. :cool: Heck, someone's probably done it already and I just haven't caught up. :p

Sulaco2

BUt, he said... if the GAP drops off the world in a couple of years, ya you could reload for a while as long as the brass supply held out, but you would be out of luck in the street carry dept., since reloads are frowned on in court after a shooting......

Bud Helms

Yeah, we're only talking 10-15 years. If they quit making it tomorrow. :rolleyes: That court room issue is not a foregone conclusion for some of us.

JohnKSa

Administrator
I think that if there is no factory ammo available, it would be very hard for anyone to make a big deal of why you were carrying handloads. ;)

Bullet94

I have a Glock 37 (45GAP). I like it, just like I like my G17 & G22. I only wish Speer would make some reloading data available.