What is the bulkiest pistol powder?

Mylhouse

I'm trying to find out what the "bulkiest" or "fluffiest" pistol powder is. From what I've seen, Unique and 800X seem to take up the most case volume for the charge weight, but if there's something else bulkier, I'd like to know.

Thanks!

Bill Adair

Mylhouse,

Unique has the biggest flakes I've ever seen, but I haven't used 800X, or looked at the new Unique to see if there is any change.

I have heard that the new Unique meters better, but my can is pretty old stuff.

Out of curiosity, why do you ask?

Bill

Bud Helms

Try IMR SR7625.

Just remember that "bulky" can mean "dirty" and "fluffy" might translate to mean "FAST" if it isn't loaded with retardants.

Mylhouse

Thanks, gentlemen!

I am trying to develop a safe, accurate subsonic load for .308. Eight and a half grains of Unique seems to work pretty good, but I was wondering if I could get better results with a different powder (not only giving me a more full case, but lessening any chance of 'detonation'). I have heard VVN310 is good, but I've never seen this powder.

Fatelvis

Hey MYL, give 2400 a try. I use it in cast .303 Brit loads, and it works wonderfully- it`s not position sensitive, and it works well with reduced loads. As to the powder charge, I cant help you there, my loads have been chronoing about 1450-1550, (as you know, super-sonic) Good luck!

Bud Helms

Herco 9-10.5 grs. It's a little dirty though.

Be careful!

[edit: Ooops. I haven't used it with jacketed bullets.]

i was helping a new reloader set up a 550B the other night and he was using Blue Dot---the 9mm cases were so full that i double checked the scales to make sure something wasn't the matter....but everylthing was OK....you may want to look at Blue Dot.....Dick

zot

Blue Dot is a slow burning powder that could cause some trouble,
its hot in all my pistol reloads, very sensetive to hot or cold temps,
Unique is best for sub sonic loads in rifles, the 8.5 gr. is right on and will give a nice low velocity pop like a low velocity .38 special,
Bluedot scares me, its great in 12 ga. buck shot loads, but for mags in pistols I use W296 or H110, 308 has too much emtpy space for a slow powder, it would peak pressure slow then very fast, fast powders peak fast and pop goes the bullet, lead is best too. just my 2 cents , been loading 7.62x39 poppers for years
with Unique, no flame on others. be carefull with large cases and
small amounts of pistol powder.

Bud Helms

Actually, I've used Blue Dot in .45 ACP and .357 Mag with a lot of success. It's as dirty as Herco, but double charges don't go by unnoticed. I like heavy bullets, so it works for me.