What is the best deal between these 2. Need to choose by this afternoon. Help Please

Viper99

One is a Makarov made in Russia in 9mm. Only 1 mag but 3 different grips including the original one. Priced at $375 and can probably get it for $350 OTD.

The other is a CZ52 with a total of 5 magazines, a 9mm barrel and holster. The guy at the FFL said that you can actually use the same mags with the 9mm barrel. Is this true? $450 is the asking price.

Attachments

• cz522.jpg
    cz522.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 164
  • Russian2.jpg
    Russian2.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 173

doofus47

given, the choice, I'd get the Mak, simply b/c you can find more available ammo at a cheaper cost.

For the Buck Rogers aspect: cz52.

Why by today?

Viper99

They are at my local FFL and since they know me, they put them aside for the afternoon to give me time to do some research. Not familiar with the Russian Makarov at all. It has a nasty DA trigger and somewhat passable SA. Is this a desirable gun?

Regards

Caz83

If I'm not mistaken, Makarov will use 9mm makorov ammo and the CZ 52 will use 9X19 parabellum ammo. The Makarov ammo is cheaper but not necessarily easy to find on the shelf. The 2 types of ammo has to be used for the pistol it is specified for. If it was up to me, would pick the CZ. Ammo a plenty, and CZ's have a great reputation for their solid craftsmanship.

*update* Didn't see the recent post. I would definitely go with the CZ if it comes with both Mak and 9mm para barrels

Viper99

Just called my FFL. The CZ has the normal 7.62 x 25mm and an additional 9mm Luger barrel The Russian is 9x18 Makarov.

rpseraph

Personally I would go for the CZ. I love the look of the CZ, the ability to fire 9mm luger, and all the extas.

Viper99

The Russian Makarov has "according to my ffl" Israeli grips on. If you look under the picture, you will see the original brown grips with star along with another black one and they are both included with the gun.

Doyle

The ergonomics on the CZ52 are absolutely horrible. They are very unpleasant to shoot. The Mak, however, is an absolute pleasure to shoot.

lee n. field

of those two, I'd get the Mak.

That said, the grip looks odd. Is that perhaps a double stack version? If so, the magazines are rare and funky. But they're supposed to also use the standard 8 round mags.

And that's "9mm Makarov", not 9mm Parabellum. Just so you don't get disappointed.

P71pilot

I would pick the makarov if if seems functional. I have had a cz52 and they aren't all that strongly made, things wear out easily on them. The makarov should be made stronger and is probably more accurate due to the fixes barrel, also more concealable, and ammo for the makarov is probably more available. I wouldn't trust a gun with a caliber conversion barrel if you are ever going to really carry it. The cz single action trigger is rrreally heavy as well

SpareMag

I dont have a Mak, but I do have the CZ52 in Tok -7.62x25.

IMHO, and that is all it is based on playing with Maks at gun shows, I think the CZ52 is a better built firearm with a distinctive roller blocjpk recoil system. It is also a durn neat looking pistol. The original barrel in mine was corroded out, thanks probably to ComBloc ammo, but a replacement barrel was easily obtained.

I guess it all depends how you like your ComBloc weapons. Either one goes bang.

P71pilot

Cz52 has fragile firing pin and rollers wear out of shape. Sights are terrible and POI may be wwwway off POA as was for me. Trigger is probably 15lbs. Although I do like the grip and specially with a grip sleeve. Mine never malfunctioned with any 7.62x25mm ammo. But wasn't very accurate, although I did love the gun.

gyvel

CZ 52 rollers crack, the firing pins break, and, if they're not tuned correctly, you can have an AD when you use the hammer drop. Supposedly, Century recalled the CZs and replace some parts to prevent the ADs, but they still do occur even with the new parts. Look on the left rear of the trigger guard and see if the letter 'Z" is present; If so, it has been back to Century.

Of the two, I would take the Makarov. Less problems, more reliability.

dgludwig

QUOTE: "Between those I would get the CZ but for about another $100 you can get a new CZ 75B. Just a thought."

A thought that I think merits some more thought.

lee n. field

Another quick note on the pictured Makarov. The image is reversed. The slide release is on the left side of the gun.

And, there is what appears a control of some sort visible at the top of the grip. I have no idea what that would be. It's quite non-standard.

The sight is adjustable, which indicates it's a gun made for commercial sale (US import points) not a milsurp. Some folks have said they're fragile.

The grip is like nothing I've ever seen before for the Makarov. (And I've had 4 go through my hands at various times over the years.)