What is the best all around "Premium" bullet design?

Dogger

Looking at either a .270 or a 30-06 for North American hunting. The various premium bullets get a bit confusing as to best at short range, best at long range, mimimum wind drift, slow opening, fast opening, etc. etc.

I want to keep things simple. Hence my question above. I want to choose one premium bullet design that is good from 0 to 300 meters against critters from hogs to deer to elk to moose. Something that stays together and doesn't ruin meat. I don't intend to hunt bears of any variety.

Whew! Thanks.

J

Jeff, CA

Whichever of the Partition, Swift A-Frame or Barnes X-Bullet performs best in your gun.

freestate

Consider the Swift Scirocco. Available in .30-06 now and .270 soon. I haven't used it, but everything I've read about it has been positive.

labgrade

Member In Memoriam
Barnes XBT - either 165 or 180s (in .30 cal) = whichever shoots best in yours. I'm very impressed to date.

Raymond3

Swift, Barnes, Trophy bonded, Woodleigh Weldcore, ( I especially like the last two in the new Federal High Energy factory loading. it is super accurate and almost 300 wim mag velocity.)

I need to disagree with others who have recommended the Partition. I know it has a good reputation, but I have had way too many total front core separations to feel comfortable any more with it in the 270 or 06. Deer shot with a 30-06 factory ammo broadside, at 120 yards with no exit wound for trailing (no major bones hit) is just unacceptable to me. I juist plain need my bullet to stay together, period, if I am going after anything as tough as pigs or Elk.

bk40

My personal favorite is the XBT from Barnes. My experiences with the Nosler Partition echoe Raymond3 comments.

gunmart

nosler partition are hard to beat.next would come the fail safes if you can get any kinda accuracy out of them.