What is the AR Market like nowadays?

MikeGoob

I recently won a NICE AR in a raffle but I don't have much room in my safe so I'm happy to sell off my older basic AR to make room for it.

I haven't been looking in a few years--Is the AR Market saturated? The upper is the nicest part of this rifle--is it easier to just sell off an upper?

Any input from you guys in the fray would help.
Thanks!

skizzums

When you say "basic", do you at least have a name? It's all about the branding these days, a basic ar can go from 500$ to 900$ depending on the brand name. I am not sure if its easier to sell just an upper, its a lot less hassle, you can always offer to sell whole or by upper/lower and give a price for each. I know I am always interested in used lowers.

MikeGoob

Yes, the lower is a RockRiverArms (but not the target trigger)

My 'custom' upper from Del-Ton is this:

CU101 16" M4 Custom Upper
[Custom M4 Upper -Barrel:DTI 16" M4 1x7 Chrome Lined]
[Custom Upper -BC:Chrome Bolt & Carrier]
[Custom M4 Upper -Handguard:YHM 4 Rail Light Weight FF Tube]
[Custom Upper -Gas Block:Standard A2 Front Sight]
[Custom Upper -Flash Hider:phantom Aggressive End Comp/Brake]
[Custom Upper -Upper:Flat Top Upper with M4 Feed Ramps]
[Custom Upper -Charging Handle:Standard Charging Handle]
[Custom Upper -Carrying Handle:None]
[16 Custom Upper -Gas Tubes:CAR Gas Tube]
ST1000 Flip Up Rear Sight

MikeGoob

lol i SHOULD! But... I rarely ever shoot my AR because I live in the city and the nearest rifle range is over an hour away.

AND this could turn into a 1911.....:D

zukiphile

I haven't been looking in a few years--Is the AR Market saturated? The upper is the nicest part of this rifle--is it easier to just sell off an upper?

The market is good for buyers.

Seems that couple of years ago BCGs were $175 if you could find one, twice what they are now. We are back to the point at which a good carbine can be put together for under $500.

If I were you, I would not sell now. If I had to sell, yes, I would find getting rid of just the upper easier than selling the lower. I have some triggers and barrels I don't need but haven't gotten around to selling partly because prices are so low.

skizzums

I would say you could get up to 450$ for the upper. The rra complete lower with a two stage trigger is only 250-275$ new. So used and minus the trigger, I reckon somewhere around 150$ unless you have an upgraded buttstock, maybe add another 30-40$.

550$ as a complete rifle, maybe a hair over six sold in parts. I would just keep it, odds are they aren't going to be around forever and in 10 years or so, it could be worth a bundle. I definitely don't see the prices dropping much more than they are right now. If it was stocks, you'd be holding on for a better quarter.

bfoosh006

"Hang onto it for another 15 months. If Hillary gets elected, it'll be a Sellers market again! "

THIS !! Who knows what the market will do up to, during and after the election.

You can ALWAYS sell it for current market value after the election... but you might be able to sell it for FAR more after the election as well....

dakota.potts

I'd keep the lower and sell the upper. The lower doesn't take up much space and can always be rebuilt, not to mention it's another firearm you already legally own if you're worried about future gun control.

Dragline45

"Hang onto it for another 15 months. If Hillary gets elected, it'll be a Sellers market again! "

Was literally just about to post the same thing :p

In all seriousness, lets hope this doesn't happen.

TimW77

"I recently won a NICE AR in a raffle but I don't have much room in my safe so I'm happy to sell off my older basic AR to make room for it."

No such thing as too many guns...

Your problem is that you do not have enough safes...

Keep both Ars, and buy another safe!

T.

skizzums

send a pic of the rifle and maybe ill make an offer. I am building my father-in law a rifle at the moment, just received the lower from PSA and have a battlelink utility stock. other than that I need EVERYTHING else. I may be interested in the upper.

stagpanther

Keep it--swap out barrel and bolt for one of the many custom calibers now available. You'll have spares for he new gun too.