What is stainless steel finish?

Hogtown

What, if any, is the difference between a stainless
steel and a stainless steel finish as listed on some Sig stainless models

C0untZer0

Maybe they made up that verbiage because if they only listed listed "stainless steel", too many people still called them and said "yes, but what's the finish on the gun?"

drail

There is no "stainless finish". Many people have come to use the term to mean a "brushed stainless finish. Stainless may be bead blasted, wire brushed or highly polished or coated with a several types of black finishes.

I believe there is one manufacturer with a "stainless steel" finish where they named the color "stainless steel" and it is a coating, not actually stainless. Possibly H&R one of their combos. I can't find it now, although on this page they list "stainless" in the sidebar describing the page and nothing on the page appears stainless.
Maybe one of the cheap 22lr revolver makers.

Wherever it is I saw something thought it was a great deal, almost jumped on it without thinking, then looked it up and was quite disappointed.

Heritage Arms has a Silver Satin finish maded to look like SS.

heritage_87992.jpg

Rusty35

Some one correct me if I am wrong.

All of the Sig 1911 models are Stainless.
Some are Stainless with a Nitron finish, some are Stainless without a coating.

jmr40

Stainless is stainless all the way through. Some guns have a highly polished stainless finish that almost looks like shiny nickle or chrome plating. Others have a brushed finish or even bead blasted so as not to reflect light.

Others have a black coating that looks somewhat like parkerizing. Remington as well as a few others used stainless barrels on some rifles as far back as the 60's, but coated them to make them look black. The idea of a stainless barrel left white would not have sold well back then. The first 700's chambered in 7mm Rem mag were an example.

blume357

Good answers in a twisted sort of way... now that I think about it, Ruger 10/22s technically have a 'stainless steel' finish on the receivers because they are really aluminum. So, the receivers are painted...then barrels are polished or bead blasted to match the paint.

I think Sig has some blued pistols that are stainless steel under what ever that finish is.

wgsigs

That would be my guess, too. All Sigs now have stainless steel slides with most having a blue/black Nitron finish. I would guess the stainless steel finish is just the stainless steel slide with a "natural" (non-)finish on it.

10 Beers

My buddy bought a Taurus model 66 back in the 80s. It was nickle plated and then sand blasted to look like the S&W model 66. I dubbed it "Fuzzy Nickle"

Last edited: