What is Significant about a pre 64 Winchester?

Coltdriver

I have seen the designation of a pre 64 Winchester 94 mentioned several times.

Recently I saw a pre 64 mention on a model 70.

What is the significance of a pre 64 model Winchester??

Thanks in advance.

Rokchukrslave

The Pre-64 was made back when you could associate quality with Winchester(or Remington for that matter). It is a controlled feed action, very smooth and reliable. It is a one size action that uses a spacer in the magazine for the shorter cartridges.
This is the Pre-64 Model 70, I don't know jack about the 94.

Dogjaw

Winchester went from an "old world, hand made" type of rifle building to the modern cookie cutter style to cut costs. The pre 64's are more accurate and better fit. I owned a post 64 model 94AE and thought it was a rattle trap with a lousy trigger. The trigger would come back with a lot of travel after squeezing the lever to disengage a safety. The trigger functioned like a decocker pistol in single action mode.

Dan Morris

Work the bolt on a pre 64 then pick up a current production
model. This should require no furthur discusson! LOL
I agree with the quality. They get a little pricey, but are well worth
the investment.Made back when American quality stood for something!
Just my own opinions.
Dan

Dave T

The pre 64 Winchester M70 has long been referred to as "the rifleman's rifle". That is a reference to the quality built into what was back then a production, off the shelf rifle.

As to the 94, in 1964 Winchester made a number of concessions to cost that reduced their quality. In the M94 lever action they went to some kind of pot metal receiver that could not be blued and doesn't wear well. Go to any large gunshop with a good supply of used lever actions. The M94s with worn, silver gray recivers with a smooth surface are pre 64s. The ones you see that look pitted, like someone sandblasted them, are post 64s.

In the last few years USRA, or what ever they call themselves now, have gone back to steel receivers. They also re-introduced the claw extractor, controled feed action that made the pre 64 M70 famous.

MAD DOG

Absolom,
I beg to differ.
The 70 classic is certainly no better than the pre 64 model 70 variant, and in some ways suffers by comparison.
The pre 64 weapons had features like an integral front sight ramp on the barrel, and really excellent wood in the stocks. The actions were all superbly machined and heat treated. Barel quality was invariably beyond reproach. Much hand fitting and finishing went into each one. They are collectable for all of these reasons, but most particularly because they shoot so darned well.

The later/current 70 classics have pretty spotty machining on the post 1997 rifles, and much less attention to detail overall.
The Classic 70s made in 1997 and previous to that are of markedly better quality. The downturn occured when Winchester moved to South Carolina in 1998.
Still and all, the Winchester 70 Classic actions are very good, and barrel quality varies. The actions make an excellent starting platform for custom rifles.

DeBee

The new Classic 70s are a far cry in quality from the Pre '64s. A good factory Pre 64 that hasn't been messed with is damn near what today would be considered custom work- a great deal of fit and finish...

I'm gearing up to build "The Grey Ghost" on a stainless .30-06 Classic action with a 20 - 22" stout match barrel maybe #4 in a GOOD synthetic stock. I might have to try a Rimrock... I am having trouble finding a rifle with suitable fit in the bolt sleeve most have 1/16" gaps on either side and seem to lock up sloppily and the firing pin drags. My dealer frowned upon me when I used a magic marker on the recoil lugs and showed him the engagement... only one lug was engaging but I didn't have a round chambered...

I'm trying not to end up with a wannabe Remington LTR lookalike... Might have to go Mauser and have it parked...

Classic 70's are good guns but they will need alittle more work to get them up to the level of a Pre '64.