What is more important to you, quality or quantity?

Viper99

I would love to have a couple of quality handguns but that would mean selling 2 to get 1. Has anyone gone thru this and how did it work out?
Regards

Cheapshooter

Quality? Quantity? No. VARIETY!:D
Hi-Points to Colts and Berettas
Heritage Rough Riders to S&W and Ruger.
With a bunch of others including milsurp C&R guns in between.
But sometimes, the word quality doesn't have to be accompanied with high price, and economical doesn't necessarily mean low quality.

wogpotter

Quality always.
I've never subscribed to the "Never mind the quality, feel the width" school of thought.
It seems others feel the same way as whenever I post a pic of my low head count, but sweet condition guns, people seem to appreciate the quality.:cool:

lee n. field

I would love to have a couple of quality handguns but that would mean selling 2 to get 1. Has anyone gone thru this and how did it work out?
Regards

I'm happy if the count goes down but the quality of the collection goes up.

Viper99

Cheapshooter,
Most of us don't have a high or unlimited amount to spend which is why I asked the question. I do have the Glocks, Berettas, Rugers, etc. But I find myself lusting for the STI, Dan Wesson's, etc.

There are diminishing returns to both quality AND quantity; the sweet spot is going to vary for each of us, depending on both our individual preferences and our budgets.

Hammerhead

Quality. I have just a small frame Freedom Arms model 97 .357 and an HK45C. The F/A is my target gun and the HK is my serious self defense pistol. All my rimfires are long guns.

If I had more money I would buy another quality gun or 2. Maybe a Coonan .357 and/or a HK USP Elite/Expert .45.

If I can't swing the HK, I might 'slum it' with the Glock 41, that looks like an interesting gun.

buck460XVR

There are diminishing returns to both quality AND quantity; the sweet spot is going to vary for each of us, depending on both our individual preferences and our budgets.

^^^This. One also needs to take into account the application. I don't need a spendy SxS or O/U for hunting turkeys in the rain or ducks/geese in the swamp, when a inexpensive 870 Express will do the job just as well if not better.

A weekend DIYer doesn't need a 12'' dual compound mitre saw to make simple picture frames when a 10'' chop saw will work just as well, be safer and cost a third as much. Still, many of those DUYers will buy the more expensive one cause it looks cool sittin' in the garage and will be the envy of their friends. IMHO, many guns are bought with this same mindset.

That said folks should get what they want, and spend what they can afford. No need to envy those that can afford more or look down at those that can only afford to spend less. If you're a middle class dad with 6 kids that deer hunt, you maybe can afford to buy them one McWhorter or Hill Country Custom to share or 6 Savage Axis rifles. This is a prime example of quality over quantity. Odds are you'll end up with more venison going the Savage route.......

22-rimfire

It was not a big change over for me as I only purchased one revolver that was what I would consider "cheap" prior to switching to Colt and S&W. It was an H&R and many like them. Rugers came later and I have been generally pleased with their product.

So, in the case of firearms, I buy the higher end stuff generally over several less expensive choices and it is definitely quality over quantity for me. I was never in a particular hurry to buy stuff.

osbornk

I don't buy based on perceived quality based on price and I don't buy for quantity. I buy based on the most affordable that will do the job I need it to do. I do this for guns, cars, motorcycles, appliances and everything else. That allowed me to retire debt free at 55 in 2003. I have S&W, Taurus, Henry, Marlin, Heritage, Phoenix, Savage and H & R (& had a Hi-Point)in guns rather than expensive brands that would perform no better for their intended purpose. You don't need a sledge hammer when a tack hammer will accomplish the job. I can afford any gun on the market but I don't have the want or need for more.

leadcounsel

You can get both if you're reasonable.

There seems to be, IMO, a sweet spot for quality and quantity. That price today is about $250-300 for a C&R gun or $400-600 for a new production gun.

I'm not a trigger nazi, and don't need my guns tuned to win National Championships either. I collect, shoot, and am comfortable with different platforms for practical and self defense needs.

To each their own, but I'm not the guy that spends double the price of the gun on modifications and upgrades. At most, I put night sights on a carry gun or home defense guns. Maybe some polishing of a trigger or something of that sort. There is a steep bell curve of diminishing returns after the $600 price range IMO. I do own guns priced at 2 or 3 times that, and the quality is there, but unnecessary.

At that ~$500 range in handguns, you can amass a sizeable collection in a few years.

Take a car analogy. For $50,000 you could have one really nice luxury car, or two more utilitarian vehicles (like a car and a pickup truck). I'm in the utilitarian camp myself.

Cheapshooter

. I do have the Glocks, Berettas, Rugers, etc. But I find myself lusting for the STI, Dan Wesson's, etc
Your decision would then be based upon purpose. Do you want the high end gun because It is a high end gun? Would it actually shoot any better than what you would have to sell to get it?
So if the purpose is to hold and cherish an expensive gun by all means do what you need to in fulfilling your desire. But if it just another gun to shoot, you might want to consider what "status symbol" is worth at the range.
One other point that is often made if it's a CCW gun. If ever used in self defense, would you rather the authorities confiscate a $500 Ruger, or $1000 STI?
BTW, my monetary resources aren't endless. Most Of my guns would be in the more medium to lower price range. All however are shooters, and are put to use on the range as often as possible. Even the CCW carry guns, and pocket mouse guns.

CajunBass

I've done both. Well, I've pretty much only bought quality, but I've bought Hi-Points and such just for grins and giggles for example.

At one time I had about 50 handguns. Most were Smith & Wesson and Colt revolvers, with a smattering of semi-auto's mixed in. I sold most of them off, kept a few I really like. Those are all pretty decent I suppose.

Ozzieman

For the collection quality.
I collect N frame S&W in 44 special. Compare one made in the 50's or 60's to todays and the quality stands out.
I have always felt that you should never buy what you can afford.
Buy what you want, if you cant afford it, wait longer and save until you can.
A 200$ Hi point is a very functional gun, but a mid 70's Colt gold cup is a work of art.

tallball

Is it quantity versus QUALITY, or quantity versus EXPENSIVE?

I have some very dependable and accurate handguns that didn't cost very much. Out of 35 or so handguns, I got around half of them used for $300 or so apiece on average. That includes S&W, Colt, and Ruger, as well as things like Taurus and Norinco and so forth.

I want it all: quality AND quantity. You can have both if you are patient and keep your eyes open.

highpower3006

Quality always comes first with me, but sometimes that doesn't mean expensive. The example posted above about using a Remington 870 instead of a pricy double comes to mind. The Remington is much less expensive, but they are a quality firearm.

Really, it depends on what you are looking at. I very seldom buy new guns as I have found that often I can get two quality used guns for the price of one new.

I like to collect Smiths and Colts and while the prices of used guns has risen, there are still deals to be had out there. You do have to look around though and be patient.

With enough time, you can certainly have both.