What is MOA?

rantingredneck

Minute Of Angle

Put simply a 1" Group at 100 meters/yards is 1 Minute of angle. A 2" group at 200 meters/yards is as well. As is a 3" group at 300 yds/meters.

Think of the spread between shots as an arc and the angle of that arc measured back to the bore in inches is the minute of angle measurement.

Jim Watson

I don't guess you are inquiring about the extinct New Zealand bird on a gunboard, so...

MOA = Minute of Angle, 1/60th of a degree.
It is a convenient measure in shooting because it is approximately one inch on the target per hundred yards of range.

So a one MOA group is one inch at a hundred yards, two inches at 200 yards, 10 inches at 1000 yards.
Most scope and target peep sight adjustments are in MOA, too.
A quarter MOA click on a scope is supposed to move the point of aim a quarter inch on the target at 100 yards, etc.

I would not casually interchange meters and yards as rantingredneck does. There is about a 9% difference which might matter at long range or on a small target.

Sorry about the Moa joke. There really was such a bird, though.

Last edited:

Nick9130White

Oh damn, I thought it was going to be this crazy math problem or somethings. That's easy. Thank you for clearing that up.

Jim, I have no idea what you're talking about on the first part.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
Oh damn, I thought it was going to be this crazy math problem or somethings. That's easy. Thank you for clearing that up.

The 1" at 100 yards is the universal approximation. If you shoot a REALLY long ways, the number is actual 1.0472" per 100 yards. At 100 it certainly doesn't matter but it is an extra .47 inches at 1000 yards.

rugerdude

Imagine a 1 degree angle drawn on paper. Now, imagine 1/60th of that angle. That is minute of angle (60 minutes in an hour will help you remember it).

Now of course your rifle does not shoot in only 2 dimensions, so the angle applies to vertical as well as horizontal shift.

Most hunting scopes will use Minutes of angle for adjustments, while most military scopes use mils which are entirely different.