What is linotype worth?

GP100man

Lino type

It really depends on content of antimony ,if ya have enuff ya to justify having it analyzed ($100.00 or so) price will depnd on content.

Here`s a link to Rotometals as ya see prices range as/contents .

http://www.rotometals.com/Bullet-Casting-Alloys-s/5.htm

If ya want send a small sample & I can test the BHN hardness & while not an exact science it can give some idea as to the alloy content.

Or I`ll purchase 10lbs. site unseen for $2.00/lb. cast with it & report back .

Either way ,just shoot me a PM if intrested.:cool:

FrankenMauser

Linotype is harder to get in some areas, than others. Lately, I've been paying $1.30 to $1.60 per pound (shipped) for raw linotype (still in sentences) of the 84 Pb/12 Sb/4 Sn variety. Because it has been used, there is less tin in some of the alloy, but I'd rather know there's less tin; than pay for ingots of unknown quality (the way most sellers try to move it).

I will admit, that I got a decent deal on the recent purchases; but I still won't pay as much as GP100MAN is willing to. I can buy "super hard" from Rotometals, and mix up my own Linotype analogue for less than $2/lb.

In pig form, I would be willing to pay maybe $1.75 / lb. However... shipping is a problem. The Linotype pigs I'm familiar with will not fit in any Priority Mail Flat Rate containers. As such, shipping would be expensive, and the price of the actual alloy would have to go down.

There's no easy way to win, here. :eek:

Your best bet is to sell it locally, unless you have an easy way of breaking up the pigs, and assuring accurate weights for your buyers. If you can do that, and ship it for $2/lb or less, you might get a few more interested parties.