what is it?

mwar410

alright guys, I've searched and asked around "military experts", what is it? There is no visible markings (except remington arms co. ilion, NY on the bayonet). the stock is carved with letters and intials? except there is a perfect circle with a dot in the center. And a F.A. by the wrist of the stock.

A 7.62X 54 won't fit in the bore, and a 7mm 08 will chamber but a 1/2"

Attachments

• remington 002.jpg
    remington 002.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 212
  • remington 003.jpg
    remington 003.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 145
  • remington 004.jpg
    remington 004.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 119

mwar410

I should have stated I thought it was a rolling block, but it is not a 11.5mm or a 45-70, and I'm kind of stumped.

mwar410

Don't have anything to measure the bore dia. but a 7mm seems alittle sloppy at the muzzle. I think it might be the m1915 with a 30" barrel, but a 7.62 won't come close to fitting in the muzzle. So it couldn't be a 8mm. The French Authority could explain the F.A. on the stock

Joker0370

Any markings on it?

They also had a lot chambered in .43 egyptian and .43 spanish. Finding ammo for either to 'check' might be difficult at best.

Scorch

Remington Rolling Block, #5 action, most likely chambered for 7X57, but the only way to say for sure is do a chamber cast. Value in that condition, maybe $350-$500.

mwar410

The only markings I found are: 1497 on the left side of the upper tang, and bottom of the trigger group, and a P on the bottom of the barrel. Besides the remington arms on the bayonet.

I'm going to check on the 30-40 dia. Because it seems to big for the 7mm at the muzzle and too small for the 7.62

gyvel

The short bayonet is the type usually found issued with 7mm Rolling Blocks. The same bayonet with a much longer blade was issued with the 8mm Rolling Blocks. It could also be for a Model 1899 Remington Lee bolt rifle. If I'm not mistaken, the same bayonet will fit a 6mm Lee Navy rifle.

How well does a 7mm round fit the chamber?

mwar410

the 7mm-08 will chamber all but the last 1/2".

The 7mm bullet will fit in the muzzle with some slop. Yes it could be worn enough from cleaning it, can't see any rifling at the muzzle.