what is end-shake?

carl418

Straight out of a S&W Armorer's Manual..... End-shake- An excessive cylinder movement in line with the length of the gun, caused by a looseness between the cylinder and yoke barrel or between the yoke stud and yoke screw.
In other words, the cylinder has too much front to rear movement. Hope this helps...

Redneckrepairs

translating that , lol

endshake is most commonly an excessive movement in any direction by the front of the cylinder of a revolver . Its usualy noticed in side to side movement but endshake describes any excess movement that can lead to lead shaving , and timeing issues with a revolver .

rockyl686

thank you. I am new to revolvers and thankfull for the help.I bought a s&w 686

not to long ago, man I wish I would have seen the thred on buying a used revolver earlier. I may have got a lemon:eek: :eek:

Last edited:

Dfariswheel

Uhhhh, sorry but that's totally wrong.

End shake is back and forth movement of the cylinder while it's closed, and is caused by wear to the cylinder assembly or by shooting hot loads.

Cylinder end shake is detected and measured with the hammer UN-COCKED and the action at rest.
Attempting to detect or measure it with the hammer cocked or the trigger held back is totally invalid and will give false indications.

End shake has nothing to do with timing, "lead shaving", or barrel/cylinder alignment.

End shake is most easily measured by pushing the cylinder to the rear and measuring the barrel/cylinder gap, then pushing the cylinder forward and re-measuring the gap.
The difference is the amount, if any, of end shake.

A Colt revolver should have near zero end shake to a maximum of .003".
S&W revolvers have a wider spec of from about .001" to a maximum of .006".

There are several methods of correcting S&W end shake, including several different methods of stretching the cylinder yoke, or by using hardened stainless steel washers inserted into the cylinder.

Unfortunately, Colt end shake correction is a factory level ONLY correction since this calls for special hydraulic tooling used to stretch the cylinder collar.

skeeter1

Not likely a lemon

rockyl686--

It's very unlikely that your Smith 686 is a lemon. That's a premium-quality revolver. Both of my Smiths measure ~.002-003" using a feeler gauge, and that's fairly normal. The little Smith 60 has digested many .38 Spl +P loads, and it's never changed. I suspect you have nothing to worry about.

If you've got a concern, I'd first recommend you send an email to:

qa@smith-wesson.com

and ask them your question. They're very responsive, and if in doubt, send the gun to S&W. If indeed your revolver is defective, it's likely they'll send you a new one.

rockyl686

i am new to revolvers and trying to learn terminology.as to lemon see tread

Trigger Problem - Help!!!:(

thank you i appreciate the help and the link

Dfariswheel

Doug.38PR:

Sorry, what I meant was, in order to correct cylinder end shake in Colt's, the repair service needs factory-type tooling.

Among those I KNOW that have the correct equipment and the knowledge of how to use it correctly is:
The Colt factory.
Cylinder & Slide.
Pittsburgh Handgun Headquarters.