What is a good powder for .40 cal 180 gr bullet?

torquewrench

I have been using Power Pistol for my .40 cal. I got a good deal on it. Works fine. I haven't used any other powders. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Woody3

Unique works great for me. My buddie turned me onto it. He's been using it for a while and loves it. Just my two cents.

dwhite

Unique. It's the most accurate I've used in my Glock. Works really well with lead bullets.

You now have 4 cents.

All the Best,
D. White

Crashbox

I haven't tried Unique but I find Longshot to be fantastic if you want high velocities with lower pressures. I use 7.5 grains in my .40 pushing the 180's out-

CatsEye

Power Pistol is a fine powder for moderate to full power .40 loads esp. with 180gr bullets. I agree with the others that Unique is a good powder for this application but I have tried both with similar loads and prefer the PP. It shoots cleaner and measures much better.

torquewrench

I will have to try Unique. I have used it for my 44 magnum loads. I shoot the 44 mag from a Marlin 1894. I am using 2400 now. I seem to shoot more accurately with it. I will give Unique another go for the 44 and try it with the 40. It would be easier to have one powder for both loads.

That'll Do

There are lots of options powder-wise for that bullet weight in 40 S&W.

One of my absolute favorites for 40 S&W is Hodgdon HS-6. It's a medium burn rate powder that works like a dream in this caliber. Unique, Universal, Silhouette, True Blue, and other will work well too.

scsov509

Besides what has already been suggested, I like AA-5 or AA-7 in the .40 depending on what type of load you're looking to find. And while I've used my fair share of Unique, I've really grown to prefer Universal as a cleaner, better metering substitue for Unique. However, that being said, I really think Power Pistol is my favorite for the .40. :)

overkill0084

Ditto on the AA#5, it's my Unique replacement. It meters better for me. It seems a bit cleaner as well. Like Unique it works well in multiple calibers.

Dis-1-Shooter

Try WST. WST is all I use for 40, also great for lead bullets also. A lot of the USPSA/IPSC shooters use WST also. Powder is a goldish color and really helps in spotting double charges.

bigD01

.40 powder for 180 bullet

I have found most accurate load for 180 is Hormady xtp with 800x powder oal 1.135 in my Glock 23