What is a good cheap bolt action rifle.

I want a new rifle; there are many I like but.. are twice as high as my price range:(

Here are the requirements

No bigger 30'06

No smaller then 223

Preferably 308

Bolt action or semi auto

Smooth trigger

More accurate then I will ever be!

No Iron sights (I will put a scope on it)

The Usual reliable durable etc

Blued

Wood stock (no much of a factor I can always buy a new stock later)

MUST have a military caliber (I am not a mall ninja! I just want the cheap ammo)

Manufacture must have a life time warranty

24-28 inch barrel

No m0re then $700 preferably 500-600

PS does any one make a good cheap m1a? I can’t afford a springfield!

I apoligize for any grammar errors in this post.

jefnvk

why not buy a cheap mauser action and build your custom rifle?

That is more of a custom dealie thing, where no one offers exactly what you want. If you just want a decent, inexpensive bolt gun, the possibilities are practically endless.

Olaf

Life time warranty. Hmmm. I think that you are SOL on that one. I know of no one offering a LIFETIME warranty.

StormTrooper

I too am looking for a decent bolt action and need to be inside a certain price range. I have found that between $400.00 to $700.00 depending on the features you want you can get a good rifle to get you going. I currently am looking at Tikka T3 series, Savage, Winchester model 70 and remington model 700.

Good Luck.

AMT8951

Right On TONEY!, Try a Savage. Or maybe a Rem VLS (Varmit Laminate Stock) Wally World has them for $600.
If you want something different, I have a FN PBR I got it for about $600 from CDNN. Mine has a 20in heavy contour barrel, but they come with 18, 20, 22, or 24in barrels. No sights, .308, pillar bedded action, good (although not great) trigger, detachable mag, and "Houge Overmolded" stocks. It's basically a controlled feed Winchester M70.

S4200109.jpg

S4200053.jpg

10-96

Savage. Uh-huh. Yup. Maybe even the CZ 550. I don't see warranty as a big thing. If you take care of a rifle, then it'll more than likey outlast you and your kids. Stay away from the Remington 710.

john in jax

Here in NE Florida the Savage FP series starts around $500 (new/retail) for the standard stocks and the price increases $100-$200 for the Choate or McMillan stocks. Everyone I know who's shot one of the newer Savage FP series love 'em. Most like the accu-trigger and I haven't found a single person who doesn't agre these are very accurate shooting rifles.

Here's the one I've been looking for a deal on:
http://www.savagearms.com/110fp.htm
It's a do everything, hunt everything on the Continental U.S. rifle.

Or if you prefer they offer .308 in 20" - 26" bbl lengths
http://www.savagearms.com/10fple1.htm

jtb1967

Go with a Savage for an inexpensive rifle. I'm a collector of non modified military weapons, but I'd avoid potentially worn out jack-leg gunsmith military rifles.

Pointer

HOWA

about $450 otd

Makes the weather Vanguard (Also a good choice)

HOWA

Has made their rifle for several other brands...

S&W, and others

I've had two in 30-06 and one in 300 Weatherby Magnum

All three, shot MOA groups.

Jack O'Conner

Howa built rifles for Roy Weatherby for many years. They're priced at about $375. with rings and mounts.

Savage still makes 'em right and quite accurate, too.

A used Mossberg, Parker Hale, or Smith & Wesson rifle is typically about $150. LESS than a Remington or Browning. Yet they're good rifles.
Jack

mustangdan1963

I bought a remington 710 in .270 two years ago, I paid $350 for it new. It's ugly and the finish is plain, but it shoots about a 1" group at 100 yards which is plenty accurate enough for heavy cover deer in Missouri....

tINY

More accurate than you will ever be (shooting mil-surp, too) and under $700....

Good luck, unless you have Parkinsons or don't plan on improving.....

-tINY

surg_res

I know you are looking for a new rifle; however, if you are patient you should be able to find a really nice gun w/ scope, etc., barely used and for a lot less $$. If a gun has just been locked up in a safe for 20 years and fired twice, who cares if it is old as long as it shoots.

Best luck at a gun show would be the guy with a nice rifle in one arm and his pregnant fiance in the other. Anyhow, looking for the right gun is all part of the fun--so I say take your time.

More accurate than you will ever be (shooting mil-surp, too) and under $700....

Good luck, unless you have Parkinsons or don't plan on improving.....

-tINY

:rolleyes: I won't be shooting milsurp all the time. And Most likely won't very often (I hate the laquering) I will probably use wwb.

I am thinking about going all the way down to 223. This was going to be my "every thing rifle" Deer, varmints, paper, etc. But I already got a 30-30 for deer...and 223 is a good varmint round with pratice ammo that won't brake the bank!

I am looking at a browning a- bolt. What do you think of it?

Webleymkv

The cheapest bolt action rifles you can buy are milsurps. No lifetime warranty but with a good Mosin Nagant or Mauser you're unlikely to need one.

Average Joe

Remington 700 ADL, .308 plastic stock, How about $398.00. Thats what I paid for mine last summer. You can get wood stock if you like, for about $30 bucks more if you really want one.

not that i could buy or inform you..

but i love the weatherby vangaurd delux, what do you guys think, also the a bolt, dont know if it comes with a wood stock
wood stock=melted heart:eek:
Chase