What is a good 1911, inexpensive not cheap

dmt411

Looking to get a 1911 in a 45. It will mostly be a range gun but they all double as HD/SD/carry. I have looked at Taurus and Rock Island Armory so far but looking for other recommendations or insight on 1911's.

I just read another thread about a bad extractor on a Taurus, a little trouble getting a new one but they prevailed and Taurus sent out a new one.

Mrgunsngear

I have 3 RIAs and they're great guns. One had issues feeding but Armscor paid shipping both ways, fixed it and threw in a bunch of goodies, no questions asked. I'll keep buying RIAs after that. They're great guns for the money.

Hawg

For an entry level 1911 you cant beat a Rock Island. Inexpensive but not cheap. .....Well other than the mag and grips.:D Seriously tho they have a polished feed ramp, the barrel is throated and the ejection port is lowered and flared. They will feed anything and the trigger isn't bad either. They will shoot right up there with the higher priced guns. They're just not as pretty.

My tactical after a grip change and new mags

005-1.jpg

wilson133

Another vote for the Rock Island, I have 3 and shoot them regularly, when I can pry them out of the Girlfriend's hands.

hellomcfly

Ruger

I picked up the Ruger SR1911 2 days ago for $549.00+tax. I was on a waiting list for it for less than two months. I have not shot it yet (doing that later today), but I'm completely happy with the features, fit, and finish. I fully believe that when they can meet the demand they will put a hurt on the 1911 market.

lamarw

You got a heck of a good price on your SR1911. I saw one in the gun store last Monday for $599. I played with it while waiting for the paper work on my Sig P220. The SR is a beautiful pistol, but it did not fit my hand as well as the Remington R1. On the other hand (pun intended) it might just be the opposite for you or another shooter. I would suggest any buyer to handle as many of the pistols mentioned as possible.

I think it is going to be hard for anyone to beat the price you got. Enjoy~

PetahW

I just voted, on Super Tuesday, @ my LGS for the Remington R1. :p

$575 OTD - My FFL order one; should be here Mon/Tues.

COSteve

I'm partial to the mil-spec versions without the beavertail and such. I got a Springfield mil-spec that I'm very pleased with. Besides the higher white dot sights, it has a throated and polished chamber, lowered ejection port and is made with a forged frame and slide.

Mine is a 'NM' s/n and it will feed anything.

DSCN2930.jpg

Khumanos

PT 1911 - Taurus

I've had this one for several years with no issues. I wouldn't buy any other Taurus semi (I've had several and sold them all), but the PT 1911 has served very well.

rodfac

For the money, around $650 here in KY, you can't beat the value...and I'm a long time 1911 Colt fan. Rod

Martowski

$600 or less for an STI Spartan. I have one in 9mm and am very happy with it. Trigger is a little stiff but easily rectified, and no more so than some of the Kimber Custom IIs I've looked at recently.

irish52084

I'll throw up another vote for Rock Island's 1911's. Bought one a while back and it was excellent, 5" 2-tone tactical. Had a very good trigger and the fit and finish was excellent. I thinks the RIA's are hard to beat for the price, I paid $500 for mine after 9.3% sales tax.

002.jpg

g20gunny

I had a rock island and didnt like it one bit. I had reliability issues and even had one of the rifleings peel off and fold out the barrell. Sold it and bought a glock and never looked back.

Hawg

That sounds almost impossible but they do have a lifetime warranty. Sides everybody makes a lemon now and then, even Colt.

balin

i had my full size Springfield out yesterday with my 3.5" Rock and the Rock was holding tighter groups. and none of my Rocks has ever been a problem. check out the Metro Arms American Classics. mine is as good as my Rocks but with a better finish.