What is 586-3 worth?

freebird72

What would be the max you would pay for blue 4in 586-3 round butt with box and papers in very good condition? It is online, and I know I have to add shipping and transfer fees. So what would be the price you would pay if it was the gun you wanted?

Webleymkv

For a 586 in used but not abused condition, I'd pay no more than $500 unless it was an uncommon barrel length or nickel finish in which case I might go up to $600. That being said, I'm not particularly interested in L-Frames (K-Frames and N-Frames are more my cup of tea) so my opinion may be somewhat jaded.

dgludwig

For the record, my "cup of tea" includes all four of the common Smith frame-size variants (J, K, N and L); each having specific assets (and liabilities) dependent on the intended use. In my area (Ohio), a Model 586-3, in the condition you describe, would easily fetch $600.00 or so. They are becoming harder and harder to find and they were never nearly as popular as their s/s (686) brethern. As Webleymkv noted, less common barrel lengths and the nickel finish will command a higher price.

freebird72

Well it seems someone thought it was worth over $700. So, I guess the search continues; and I really wanted that gun too.:mad:

freebird72

I would have went to mid $600s, maybe, but at over $700 plus shipping and transfer fees I was looking at near or over $800:eek:. I think I will keep looking; hopefully the revolver gods will look down upon me soon. :rolleyes:

kdrf636

Good luck. I think $700 is too much as well. But at least you have great taste in guns, that's for sure. I have a 4" 586, but it has the square butt. It was a duty weapon that I bought off a police chief for $250 back in the early 90's when he switched to a semi automatic pistol. Great revolver.

orionengnr

I bought a very nice one at a local gun show for ~$425 about three years ago, sold it for the same amount a year or two later.

I have seen at least one in the last year at another gun show for the same price. I was tempted, but I had already owned one, so I could not rationalize it.

Keep your eyes open, they are out there.

orionengnr

I bought a very nice one at a local gun show for ~$425 about three years ago, sold it for the same amount a year or two later when I realized that I really prefer a K-frame for a 4" .357.

I have seen at least one more in the last year at another gun show for the same price. It brought back memories, and I was tempted, but I had already been down that road, so I could not rationalize it.

Keep your eyes open, they are out there. Happy hunting.