What in the world?

MeekAndMild

I was out at the hardware store buying Christmas presents and the guy at the gun counter showed me a little bullpup rifle with really weird curved integral front and rear pistol grips, a brake and a fifty round magazine fitted into the top. The whole thing looked like it was the bare minimum length for a legal rifle. He asked me if I wanted to buy it, then told me it was $2000. Nuts!

Anybody ever heard of a gun like this? :confused::confused::confused:

MeekAndMild

No I don't know what caliber. It must have been something small. I don't play Counter Strike but I used to play Asteroids and Pong. :D Yes it looked like your picture of the PS90. Why are they so expensive?

TheManHimself

That's a PS90, and without the go-fast switch it's just an impractical range toy. The round is inferior to the 5.56x45mm round, and it's not really that much smaller or lighter than a 5.56mm bullpup carbine.

MeekAndMild

So what is their appeal? Is it just looks and novelty? $2000 seems a lot to pay for a rifle which won't hunt and which won't shoot well from the bench.

bigghoss

well they are 100% ambidextrous. it holds 50 rounds and the mag configuration keeps it streamlined. and they make the rifle and a companion handgun, the FiveseveN, in the same caliber. basically they made it for the military market and figured out if they added a 16'' barrel a lot of us regular folks would buy it.

jakeswensonmt

They work quite well...in Call of Duty 4
Don't forget the Stargate team, which has shot A LOT of Replicators with P90's! :D

Seriously though, the P90 was designed as a SMG that would defeat body armor, with a round devised just for that purpose, the 5.7x28mm, which is also used in the Five Seven handgun.

I haven't shot one, but I've handled one in the store, and I have to say that the highly unusual layout and ergonomics do absolutely nothing for me, very strange and unnatural.

TPAW

I met a guy at the indoor range (35 yards) and he had one. He was normally a fairly decent shot with his Glock 19 and Ruger 10/22, but could not hit squat with that weird looking thing. He was very unhappy with it and said he's selling it. NO THANK YOU was my answer. Too spaced out looking for me, I like traditional looking rifles and handguns. JMO

troy_mclure

ive shot the p90, and p90s, and the 5-7.
the p90 is termed a PDW(personal defence weapon). its designed for close quarters combat, defeating armour, and executive protection.
the round is extreamly accurate out to 300m, its max range. it also breaks apart in the body like the 5.56 is supposed to.

the p90/p90s takes a bit of ajusting to "get the feel" coming from an ar.

you can also get the p90 short barrel with a $200 tax stamp.

bigautomatic

Seen a few at the range, would rather have the handgun version of the caliber. Also have heard rumors of a ban, and have been picking up all the brass that the original owners don't want. Hopefully it will make good trading fodder someday. On that note, I wonder how accurate it would be in a good bolt action or single shot pistol from the bench? Seems like it would make a decent whistle pig whacker if the round has decent accuracy.

finfanatic

At the range...

At the range awhile back,the guy beside me had a FiveSeven, and he let me shoot it and I let him shoot my Python.

The pistol is Very nice. Recoil like a .22 mag but the round is more powerful. And it was very accurate.

A few weeks ago, the same guy who had the FiveSeven, was at the range and he had a PS90. It had the FN holo optic on it and was very nice to shoot.

Not $2000 nice mind you. AT least not to me. :D