What in the heck did I just buy?

RodTheWrench

I saw it, I liked it, I traded for it. Must be due to the current S&W revolver kick I'm on.

What is this thing? How in the world would one go about finding out who did the custom work on it?

I was told it's a model 10, 38 Special. The cylinder measures just 1 9/16" long so I would assume it's a 38 only.

What were these kind of guns made for and when? Of course I assume it was made for competition, but what kind? The SA trigger breaks like glass at 2(?)-ish pounds - VERY light!

Sorry for all the questions, but who in the world made barrels for these?

I definitely want to get it to the range to see what she can do, I'm assuming a high accuracy pistol that I won't mind keeping.

And as long as I'm assuming, wouldn't you say the value of this gun is in the eye of the beholder? Or is there a demand for these types of modified Smiths?

Attachments

• image (79).jpg
    image (79).jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 343
  • image (80).jpg
    image (80).jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 207
  • image (81).jpg
    image (81).jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 164

Venom1956

its a custom PPC revolver. you'll enjoy it very much. the model # should be inside the crane and depending on age if its a .357 the chambers would be recessed.

You'll love it.

MrBorland

It was originally a 5-screw .38spl, rather than a .357mag, as the former (like yours) didn't have recessed chambers. The 5-screw configuration indicates the base gun was a pre-1957 gun, so the model # won't be stamped on the gun, but it was likely a pre-10, though it could've been a pre-17 (aka K-38).

As mentioned it's a PPC revolver. Built correctly, they're tack drivers, but are built to shoot target ammo, typically HBWCs. It's got a Bomar sight rib. AFAIK, the popular heavy PPC barrels of the time were Douglas and Apex. I'm gonna guess it's a Douglas barrel.

As far as value, there's not much market for them, as there's not much demand for PPC guns any longer. As such, they can often be had for a bargain, considering what they are. If it were a documented gun in good shape made by a top PPC 'smith of his day, my WAG is it might sell for $1k-ish. Much depends on the 'smith who did the work (could simply be a PPC gun in appearance only), so if unknown or undocumented, the value goes down considerably.

Nice gun. Range report soon, eh? ;)

Dave T

A gunsmith might have swaped in a bbl from a S&W Model 586 before installing the Bo-Mar rib.

The barrel is too big in diameter to be a 586, and the under lug is attached with screws rather than being integral with the barrel. It was done by a gun smith and from the pictures a pretty good one.

Also, the configuration of the top strap (both front and rear) makes the original a fixed sighted revolver, probably a pre-Model 10.

Dave

Bob Wright

As a matter of interest I saw a similar race gun at the Memphis Gun Show Saturday, built on a Model 10. The gun had a very large diameter barrel that had been flattened on each side, similar rib and sights.

Asking price was $1000.

Bob Wright