What in the blazes is .50GI?

Tucker 1371

I was waiting on a friend at a Barnes and Noble Saturday and picked up a Gun Digest for the first time and saw this ad for converting a Glock to .50GI. I've never even heard of this round. Has anyone shot one? Where do you find the ammo? Seems to me like that round would come out traveling at the speed of smell, being that heavy and approximately the same case length as a .45 ACP. Just trying to learn myself a little bit, any info or opinion you have is welcome.

20nickels

I saw somebody online and his friend converted their Glocks. From memory they said they practiced with .45's and changed uppers to .50 for carry. Said it felt just like .45, but offered more energy and a bigger hole. May well have been on this forum.....

DBAR

It's a really big bullet, but it doesn't have anymore recoil than a standard .45 1911. They where first made in 1911's, and now Glocks. I shot the 1911 variant, and the reason why most people shoot the .45 acp instead of the .50GI is cost. You pretty much have to load your own.

DBAR

Tucker 1371

Gotcha, figured it was expensive, nothing .50 cal is cheap. Why on earth would you feel the need for something bigger than .45 ACP or 10mm auto? Different strokes I guess. Thanks all.

20nickels

.50 AE is more powerful though. Can't think of a more powerful semi-auto handgun round than that.

Interesting, the loads they sell for 50 G.I. are the same weight as .45's, 185's and 230's. One would think you need more weight for it's sectional density to get any penetration. Is it really gaining anything over the .45? or is it just a bigger shallow wound?

EdInk

It is a proprietary niche round. If you want a real .50 handgun get either a Desert Eagle in 50ae or a revolver in S&W 500mag.

If you NEED a .50 handgun you REALLY NEED a rifle.